Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 marriages possible... 1876-1899 in England?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 marriages possible... 1876-1899 in England?

I've got a person who appears to have had 4 wives over his lifetime. I understand divorce was pretty expensive and or not easy.

My research is nowhere near complete (I'm in New Zealand) and the subject was in and around London for the latter half of his life. Much of this is through circumstance and secondary type sources. All the dates and ages tie into the census / BMD records, and Blackah is a fairly uncommon name.

Has anyone else seen a similar amount of marriage activity? Or am I making too many assumptions. Could the 'wife' Ada be a joke census entry? I've read about people making cryptic or funny census returns.

Research notes below:

Joseph Blackah born 9 Feb 1854 died 1909
    His parents were Alexander Blackah (born in 1829 in Pateley Bridge, Yorkshire, England - died in 1904) and Hannah Clark (born in 1832 in Ripon, Yorkshire, England - died in 1910)

Marriages:
    1. m Emma Catherine Gosan 1876. Free BMD Index, Free BMD Index, Bedale, Jun 1876, Vol 9d Page 933. Transcribed as Blacker and Blacka
    2. m Elizabeth 1886. Free BMD Index, Westminster Vol 1a Page 797 Jan-Mar 1886. There are 2 Elizabeth's on the register page so unable to determine correct surname.
    3. m Ada date unknown - no record located other then 1891 census
    4. m Elizabeth Jeffery 1899. Free BMD Index, St Giles Vol 1b Page 1348 Jul-Sept 1899

Census and BMD supporting:
    • 1881 census - with wife Emma Blackah and some step kids (Robert age 6 and Clara age 4 King). Census address:15 Pleasant Place, Newington, Surrey, England. RG11, Piece 553, Folio 101, Page 39
    • 1891 census - was with wife - Ada - born abt 1851 in West Wratting, Cambridgshire, England. Census address: 42 Store Street, Bloomsbury. RG12, Piece 212, Folio 62, Page 51
    • 1892 Elizabeth Blackah died agd 42 in St George Hanover Square (London Middlesex area), could this be his wife from 1886? Free BMD Index, Deaths Jun 1892 St. Geo. H. Sq. Vol 1a Page 308
    • 1901 census - with wife Elizabeth. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X98N-5PZ

Cheers,

G
    Last edited by GraemeWi; 03-07-12, 07:15.

The name Ada on the 1891 could have been a 'pet' name for Elizabeth although it would be more usual if it was Betty or Betsy or something along those lines.
    My internet is running very slow just now so can't look at anything for you but will try later.

Margaret

PS 3 /4 marriages would not have been out of the question if on each occasion he was widowed and left with children to look after - a wife would have been essential to allow him to keep the children.
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 03-07-12, 07:23.

Comment

Do you have deaths for any of these 'wives'? My OH's ancestor, Walter Hooks (abt 1822-1908), from Ayrshire, outlived four wives, three of whom had children.

Beverley

Comment

And the other way round, my OH's g-grandmother outlived 3 husbands, having had children with all of them.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
        X