Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ellen Maude Lucas (born abt 1887 in Islington)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ellen Maude Lucas (born abt 1887 in Islington)

I wonder if anyone can help me find my g grandmothers birth records. I have found her in the 1911 census - then married to be g grandfather Alfred George Ayres (married on 1907). Unfortunately I can't find anything else about her. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

I have just checked the Civil Registration Index and there seems to be a bit of confusion on the name.
    Marriage registration:
    1907 2nd qtr. Islington,
    Names listed are:
    Alfred George Ayres
    Ellen Kate L Chapman
    Elizabeth Maude Lucas )
    Elizabeth Maude Titford ) presume these two are the same person, with alternative surnames being given.
    Frank Melville White

Are you sure he married the Lucas female, rather than the Chapman female??
    Elaine

Comment

Apologies - does look as if he married the Lucas female as I can see Frank Melville White on the 1911 census with wife Ellen Kate Louise.

So it would seem that she is Elizabeth Maude rather than Ellen Maude ???
      Elaine

Comment

I cannot find any connection between the Lucas and Titford names.
        Your best option is of course to get the marriage certificate which would hopefully give her father's name and occupation. I say "hopefully" because I wonder if she was born illegitimate and the Lucas name is her birth surname and Titford her mother's married name, or vice versa.
        Elaine

Comment

Will look into this - many thanks for your help.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I have looked on www.deceasedonline.com and there was an Ellen Ayres cremated in 1968 in Islington (her date of birth would have been about the right time).

Comment

Originally posted by pippacat View Post
              Thanks for your help. I have looked on www.deceasedonline.com and there was an Ellen Ayres cremated in 1968 in Islington (her date of birth would have been about the right time).
              So are you presuming that Ellen Ayres was actually Elizabeth Maude Titford/Lucas ??
              Elaine

Comment

There is an Bertha Ellen M Lucas born 1889 Islington in the BMDs on Ancestry
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

There are entries on the London Electoral Registers for a Alfred George Ayres and Elizabeth Maud Ayres in Islington up to 1939.

I am confused - why do you think the wife is Ellen?
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post

I am confused - why do you think the wife is Ellen?
                    I am presuming that it is from the 1911 census - is this the one you are looking at

How sure are you that you have the right marriage? You may be better getting a copy of the birth certificate for Lilian which will give MMN. Do you know if George and Ellen had any other children - if they were born after 1911 then the MMN will be shown on the BMD index.
                    Elaine

Comment

Yes that is the 1911 census I am looking at. I know that my grandmother has a sister called Lilian. I have checked the BMD index for my grandmother Kitty Ayres (born March 1922 - Islington) and the MMN is "Lucus". I'm pretty sure that her mothers name is Ellen because that is what my grandmother told me. Unfortunately I still can't find a birth certificate, baptism for my g grandmother which may indicate her father/mothers name. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

What does it give as her mothers name on your grandmothers birth certificate Pippa? If you haven't already got it then you need to get that first to make sure you are on the right track.
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                        X