FTM2011 -- Printing outlines and descendant reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM2011 -- Printing outlines and descendant reports

I've had FTM 2011 since it came out, but don't often need to print info. I really don't like this program -- had FTM 2005 till I was forced to change -- and it seems there's lots of stuff I can't do. So here's my question:

To get something "printable' I have to export to RTF, save it (not always necessary), and then it will come up in Win7. HOWEVER, there's lines between generations, blank spaces, etc and if I try to edit things, it only gets worse -- changes spacing, indentations, leaving gaps, etc! How do I get a "pure" Windows document that I can edit without all this garbage? Keep in mind I'm looking at a family history over 100 pages; editing everything really isn't an option.

I'm also noticing that when I print a descendant tree I don't always get notes on the spouse! Example: In my specific case, a tree that includes my line does not include my husband's notes --UNTIL we add a child for us! And we are childless! What's that all about? But that also happens throughout the line, for people with/without kids! Then I have to say, what's the point of even doing a descendant tree when half the info is eliminated. I did find that marriage notes have to be specifically added, too ; what's up with that?

Someone please help! I've been asked for a family history, and I can't provide a good one! 2005 NEVER had this problem!

Welcome to the forum!

Re the problem with printing. Can I ask why you find it necessary to export it rather than printing directly from FTM. What sort of editing do you want to do?
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by skipperh View Post

I'm also noticing that when I print a descendant tree I don't always get notes on the spouse! Example: In my specific case, a tree that includes my line does not include my husband's notes --UNTIL we add a child for us! And we are childless! What's that all about? But that also happens throughout the line, for people with/without kids! Then I have to say, what's the point of even doing a descendant tree when half the info is eliminated. I did find that marriage notes have to be specifically added, too ; what's up with that?
      Have been doing some digging on this by searching through the FTM online help forum - available on Ancestry at http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/topics....emaker/mb.ashx
      There is a very long thread which seems to reflect what you are saying here and it seems that you are not alone!
      The following link will take you to the start of the thread.

The conclusion to the problem seems to be:
      Register Reports follow the New England Historical Society guidelines and as such they do not include info and facts on spouses where there is no progeny.

I have just looked at a report using FTM 2012 and there doesn't appear to be any difference, still no info on spouses where there are no children.
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

I export to windows because I was told that was the only way to get a "working document" there -- IF there's another way, please tell me! Most times I DON'T want to print, but I want to frame things differently, color code descendant trees, any number of things. By the same token, if someone asks me for a descendant tree, I'd like to give them ALL the data (including spouse/marriage notes!), in some semblance of a professional manner (as 2005 let me do) so I sometimes want to remove my own notes/theories not of interest to others.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the info, which frankly is totally stupid! So a person is not important unless they have kids? Yea, right! That didn't seem to be the case in ANY previous FTM program I had, and until 2005 I had been updating pretty regularly.

So, add that to the list of reasons why I might want to "edit" a family history prior to sending it (thus "exporting" to word)

Now I really am totally disgusted

Comment

I understand what you are saying. Looking at the FTM forum there are suggestions that you open the RTF file initially in Wordpad and then copy and paste into MS Word, or whatever you WP program you use. It seems to remove some of the formatting which causes problems. The other suggestion is to export to PDF and then copy from that into your WP program.
            There doesn't seem to be a simple answer to your question I am afraid and I have just tried the above suggestions using FTM2012 and to be honest neither of them are ideal. I found it easier to open directly into Word and edit from there.

Sorry not much help!
            Elaine

Comment

Working...
            X