Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look up please

Hello All

Can I have a look up please on find my past for a marriage in Canterbury in 1899 for a Edward Charles Curd, his wife’s name is Laura Annie Growns and all I am looking for are the names of the parents if given.

The index is listed under (Marriages 1796-2005) I do not need any census returns or any other information other than the parents’ names if given.

Thank you

Ken

Ken, the database you are looking at is the Civil Registration Index, so the only information available is the same as you would find on freeBMD, that is:
    Laura Annie Growns / Edward Charles Curd
    1899 3rd qtr.
    Registration district - Canterbury
    Volume 2A, page 1809.
    Elaine

Comment

The marriage is just the index entry and so only gives the quarter, year and registration district and two possible spouses.
      Anne

Comment

hi if you have the census records then surely you have his parents names ?? which are William M Curd born abt 1841 Hackington Kent and Jane E born abt 1858 Elmstead Kent according to the 1891 census ???

Comment

William Matson Curd married Jane Croucher in 1876 Mar quarter 2a 887 in Bridge Kent

Comment

Hello All
            Thank you for what you have looked up, I did NOT know that it was just the marriage indexes, I was hoping that it may have been a copy of the certificate.
            Thank you for your help
            Ken
            Last edited by Ken; 02-07-12, 12:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I did NOT know that it was just the marriage indexes, I was hoping that it may have been the certificate.
              The only people who can issue certificates are the General Register Office (GRO) who need the reference details you have been given, and the local Register Office for the area where the event took place. Marriages are more tricky for local register offices to locate, because each place of worship has its own marriage register, and there is also a register for Register Office weddings (which includes other marriages attended by the Registrar).
              Last edited by Uncle John; 02-07-12, 12:01.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ - there are many collections coming online which include copies of the marriage register, unfortunately Canterbury is one of the areas not covered!
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  UJ - there are many collections coming online which include copies of the marriage register, unfortunately Canterbury is one of the areas not covered!
                  Thank you for the info., Elaine. What's the easiest way to find these collections?

Comment

Keep an eye on our Genealogy News section - you will find most of them reported there!

Off the top of my head for Ancestry - London (LMA), Dorset, Liverpool, West Yorkshire, Warwickshire
                    Findmypast - you will find some in this listing - http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/news/2012 - some of these PR collections are pre civil registration, but there are many that are post 1837.

Well worth keeping an eye out because if you are lucky to have ancestors from these areas/counties then it often means getting a marriage register entry for free!

Edit to add: or check this listing on FMP - (scroll down to under search boxes) http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/p.../burials?tab=3
                    Elaine

Comment

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/ is one of my bookmarks - they are excellent for recording useful links for BMD and census stuff online. You can look at links by County, or by topic - e.g. Local BMD sites.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        ... there are many collections coming online which include copies of the marriage register, unfortunately Canterbury is one of the areas not covered!
                        I have just noticed on another website that there are some Canterbury records on Findmypast, but they have not yet been indexed so you need to know the parish in order to search the images.
                        Elaine

Comment

was going to say elaine, i had seen somewhere some canterbury records.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                            was going to say elaine, i had seen somewhere some canterbury records.
                            I knew FMP had something in the pipeline but didn't realise they had already added some of the images. Transcriptions are due sometime later this year, I think!
                            Elaine

Comment

William Matson Curd married Jane Croucher in 1876 Mar quarter 2a 887 in Bridge Kent

Hello Ken,
                              I have this record which could be of interest to you -
                              8th June 1801 John Curd married Hester Matson at Hackington, Kent.
                              This could be the grandparents of your William Matson Curd.
                              I believe that Hester had at least two siblings - Sarah(who married James Taylor) and William (who married Sarah Cullen).
                              The above are a group which I have not been able to link into my records any further, so I would really like to know if you have any further joy with William Matson Curd and his parents.

Comment

Hello Doverrog

Thank you for your reply, yes that is the grandparents of William Matson but i have the wifes name as Esther Matson not Hester, i am also sorry in the delay in getting back to you but i have just got back from my family holiday in Spain.

Kind regards

Comment

Worth mentioning that Esther and Hester are probably interchangeable, especially in censuses.

Comment

Hello Ken.
                                    Could you give me the details of the parents of William Matson Curd so I can complete my records back to his grandparents John and Hester/Esther?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                      Worth mentioning that Esther and Hester are probably interchangeable, especially in censuses.
                                      I believe it's one of those names which arise from swapping letters around &/or dropping/adding letters. It's comparable with Hannah/Ann(e)/Nancy/Nan(ny). I've seen Emma/Emily/Amelia used interchangeably, too - and Helen/Nell/Ellen/Eleanor...

Christine
                                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 16-10-12, 18:07.
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello Doverrog
                                        Here are the parents and the children, i have not found the marriage date for William and Emma.
                                        Regards Ken

William CURD (1817?-1905?)

1. William CURD, son of John CURD (1786?-1845?) and Esther MATSON (1779?-1852?), was born in 1817 (approx.) in Hackington St Stephen near Canterbury.1 He was baptised on 27 April 1817 in Hackington St Stephen near Canterbury.2 He was an Agricultural Labourer, Wood Reeve, Game Keeper, General Labourer, No Occupation.1,3,4,5,6,7,8 He died in November 1905 (approx.) in Blean Kent.9 He married Emma SMEAD.

Emma SMEAD was born in 1818 (approx.) in Hoath Sturry Kent.1,4,5,6 She was a No Occupation.3 She died in February 1886 (approx.) in Blean Kent.9 She was buried on 10 February 1886 in Hackington St Stephen near Canterbury.2 She and William CURD had the following children:

+2
                                        Charlotte Sarah CURD (1836?- )
                                        +3
                                        Mary Ann CURD (1838?- )
                                        +4
                                        William Matson CURD (1840?-1897?)
                                        +5
                                        John Henry CURD (1842?-1913?)
                                        +6
                                        Charles Edward CURD (1843?- )
                                        +7
                                        Esther Elizabeth CURD (1846?- )