Settlement Examinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settlement Examinations

Hi I wonder if someone could explain how Settlement examinations worked. I have just been looking on Yesterday' Journey website -

I think the top two entries are people in my tree. However I do not know what it means in context of Ellis LOWE born Calow served John WATKINSON

If someone could explain I would be grateful.

Sandra

I could not see actual "settlement" with above link but with what you have written it sounds as though Ellis Lowe is born Calow but could that be Carlow Ireland? He sounds as though he would have worked for John Watkinson.

I have a Settlement certificate found in the local CRO which states that the person undergoing the settlement was working for various people. It gives his place of birth so that should anything happen and he needs to be looked after by the parish, then he would be returned to the parish from whence he came, so that he would not be a burden on the parish that he just happened to be working in at the time of his being impoverished. The reason for removal could be any one of a number of reasons such as:

old age and unable to work because of sickness/accident/loss of job etc.

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 02-07-12, 11:20.

Comment

Hi Janet,

Thank you for your reply

Calow is in Derbyshire. The complete piece states:

CALOW
      SE1 Ellis LOWE born Calow served John WATKINSON Calow, William TAYLOR Calow, John SKINNER Howbeck (Holbeck?) Norton Cuckney, Notts. 1751

Sandra

Comment

Yes, so that sounds as though Ellis Lowe has worked for all the others mentioned, but in working for John Skinner of Norton Cuckney Notts he was working out of his parish, so if he fell on hard times he would have to be returned to Calow Derbyshire, his original parish. Those were the days!!

Might be interesting to find out who the others were and what job he might have been doing. My one was a groom working for the Spencer family in Northants in the mid 1700's and went to London with the Spencer family where he married in Westminster and then went to Bucks to work for another family before returning to Northants. These Settlement certificates can give you a real insight into what an ancestor was doing in the 1700's and how they were travelling around.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 02-07-12, 12:24.

Comment

One that I have is like a potted history of the man in question including who and where he married and his children as well as who he worked for and when. It would probably be interesting to get the full copy if it was available.

Anne

Comment

Working...
          X