How old ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old ...

to join the Army in the UK mid 19th Century?

Between 1848-49 the 1st year of service is listed as 'Under Age' and has not been counted towards pay and pension ... (I'm trying to ascertain year of birth, which seems to vary throughout census info)

Service towards pay and pension starts from 1849 and continues throughout service.

Can anyone please explain this?
    Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 01-07-12, 10:14.
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

i have one who was 14/15 in the early 1850's. the navy took them around 12 i think, wonder if it was the same with the army?

Comment

I have one joining the Royal Artillery at age 14y 10m, in 1870s. His attestation & pension papers from FMP mention that his years of service while he was a minor were counted towards pension only because of a law (can't remember when it was passed).

Wikipedia has several write-ups about joining the British military, length of service, changes in laws affecting length of service, departure from service & pension. In the first part of the 19th century, soldiers were required to serve 21 yrs.

I didn't realize it right away, but his attestation papers gave his rough age, and the date of the document. I calculated back from that to get a rough DOB
      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 01-07-12, 14:25.

Comment

Working...
      X