Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMP Irish site

has anybody used this with much success ? thanks

i think it's one of those to keep an eye on, in case anything good pops up. have you looked around to see what they include?

Comment

Yes I do think that http://www.findmypast.ie/ is worth keeping your eye on for Irish ancestors. In my opinion it is the only fee paying site worth browsing for Irish ancestors, as it is free to browse, but like most sites, pay to view! I have found several of my own ancestors on here but it will be a while before it becomes really worth while, but every time I look there are more records appearing.

The following notes are taken from the site to show you where they are coming from:

"Findmypast Ireland is a new website set up by two experts in the field of family history: Eneclann, an award-winning research and publishing house with extensive experience in family history in Ireland, and findmypast, a leading family history website, initially launched in the UK. Together, we have worked to bring you a website which will help you to understand your Irish heritage and make amazing discoveries about your ancestors.

Eneclann has spent over a decade researching, digitising and publishing family history records in the island of Ireland. Their deep expertise in the records and archives available is second to none, and they have extensive expertise in making hard-to-find records come to life online.

Based in Dublin, findmypast Ireland has a dedicated team committed to providing you with the best possible experience when researching your Irish family history but also the ability to draw on the strength and resources of its two founding partners.

Both partners have brought their passion for family history, a dedication to customer service and years of experience to create findmypast Ireland. We look forward to developing it into a major resource for tracing your Irish roots, wherever you are in the world."

Eneclann - family history experts in Ireland since 1998, is not only based in Dublin but is based at Trinity College Dublin. I have done some Irish Research at Trinity College Dublin and was very impressed with the records they have there, but you have to arrange to do research there and with a specific aim in mind. You cannot just turn up for research.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 01-07-12, 11:28.

Comment

thanks both I am mainly looking for Cork ? will keep looking on there then

Comment

there are cork records somewhere lol i have been searching them.

Explore Cork's rich history with Cork Past and Present - a service of Cork City Libraries

here you go:

This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.

don't know what you'll find, there is a lot, but i never found my family. good luck.

Comment

Cork has quite a lot of parish recordsonline but it will very much depend on where you are looking in Cork but the following sites may be of some use.

Extracts from the Census of Ireland 1851 for some parishes in Cork. The parishes are Kilcrumper, Kilworth, Leitrim and Macroney with only parts of the latter two. These were extracted from Josephine Masterson's 'A Collection of 1851 Census Records'. Name, age, occupation, town land and page. The original records are held in National Archives in Dublin.

http://www.corkgenealogicalsociety.com/ (Click on "starting out" at top of the Home Page will give many more websites)

This page features civil Marriage Records for the district of Cork in Co. Cork and includes full names (where possible), the year of marriage, and the quarter in which the marriage occurred.

over 180 genealogy links for County Cork, Ireland, including ships passenger lists, military records, censuses, cemetery lists..

I did have a lot more but on trying to access them I note now that the page is unobtainable! I will see if I can get at the others through other websites!

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 02-07-12, 10:01.

Comment

I keep looking at it but haven't found anything useful yet. I will certainly keep on eye on it. But why does it have to be separate from FMP? It is so expensive to subscribe to them all. Ancestry have quite a lot of Irish info, and that's inclusive; but I do know it's a business and not a charity!
              Best wishes, Polly

Begley - St Helens & Liverpool & somewhere in Ireland; Foster - Liverpool & Yorkshire (Ripon & Leeds); Pendleton - Huyton & Liverpool; Milnes - Leeds & Ripon; Banister - Preston; Wales - Liverpool & Cumberland; Ireland - Prescot; McDonough - Liverpool; Quirk - Liverpool; Hunt - St Helens; Tickle - St Helens

Comment

Thanks very much Kyle and Janet looks like I will be busy.
                Funny enough Polly I actually thought for a moment my sub to FMP covered the Irish records ? maybe it will one day.

Comment

well it's not hard to think that val, they have the scottish census in the uk version, and wales parish records as well. maybe there will be a bigger market for ireland?

Comment

Working...
                  X