Where was he in 1911?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was he in 1911?

I wonder if anyone can help me with this please?

I have been looking for my late Uncle, William Havelock Wilson, born Swansea on the 6th June 1894.

On the 1911 Census for Wales, his parents, William James and Margaret Wilson, are at 93 St Helens Road, Swansea, with their other five sons. William Havelock Wilson is not with them, and I can't find him at all in 1911.

One possibility is that he might have been in the Merchant Navy, - he would have been 16/17yrs in 1911.

Were any records kept showing merchant navy listings in 1911? Or were they just left out of the census if not in the UK in 1911?
    Cheers, Holly.

There is a William Havelock WILSON in the Electoral Registers for London in 1935 and 1936, in Harrow.
    Not hat that helps for 1911 - will look again.
    Last edited by herky; 29-06-12, 13:35.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

suppose you have his death in Hendon June quarter 1974 13 0539

Comment

Many Thanks for looking, Herky and Val.

Yes Herky, thats him on the Electoral Rolls for Harrow. (He was living in Wembley Park; which came under Harrow).

Val, - I have his Death Cert, - and still remember sitting with him in hospital, just before his death. Just wish now that I had asked him more about family history things before he died...:-(((
        Always the way I suppose...with these things!
        Holly.

Comment

I know what you mean ,I lived with my nan for years but wasn't interested then, am now but of course shes gone, the stories she could have told me ??.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            I know what you mean ,I lived with my nan for years but wasn't interested then, am now but of course shes gone, the stories she could have told me ??.
            If only we could summon them up for half an hour!!

My late Uncle (the one in this thread) often used to talk of having visited Russia before the revolution...so would have had to be prior to 1917(?) I have his WW1 RNR records, - (he served on 'Q' boats), but think that he must have spent some time in the Merchant Navy prior to WW1. However, I don't know if any Census records were kept for men in the Merchant Navy in 1911...

Does anyone on here know?
            Cheers, Romilly.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
              If only we could summon them up for half an hour!!

My late Uncle (the one in this thread) often used to talk of having visited Russia before the revolution...so would have had to be prior to 1917(?) I have his WW1 RNR records, - (he served on 'Q' boats), but think that he must have spent some time in the Merchant Navy prior to WW1. However, I don't know if any Census records were kept for men in the Merchant Navy in 1911...

Does anyone on here know?
              Cheers, Romilly.
              I'm not sure - but have you tried putting his name into the TNA search? If you pick the right bit, they do have Merchant Navy records. There's probably some info in the FTF Reference Library, but I haven't time to look it out for you at the moment.

Chrisitne
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                I'm not sure - but have you tried putting his name into the TNA search? If you pick the right bit, they do have Merchant Navy records. There's probably some info in the FTF Reference Library, but I haven't time to look it out for you at the moment.
                Chrisitne
                Yes, - I've tried and got no result:-(

I do find that Site difficult though...and perhaps I'm putting in something wrong?

I've gone to Merchant Naval Ratings/put in his full name/William Havelock Wilson/place of Birth, Swansea, Glam/DOB, 6/6/1894, - and get a 'nil' result...

Holly.

Comment

I do find that Site difficult though...and perhaps I'm putting in something wrong?

I've gone to Merchant Naval Ratings/put in his full name/William Havelock Wilson/place of Birth, Swansea, Glam/DOB, 6/6/1894, - and get a 'nil' result...

Holly.
                  Less is often best. Just try putting his name in and leave out the rest.

Janet

Comment

The head of the National Union of Seamen was Joseph Havelock Wilson from Sunderland, though.

Comment

oh was he I should have read further then

Comment

Holly.
                        I have a feeling that my cousin's entry has only surname and initials. It's easier if you can include the BT reference for the pouches (or some such specific name for the records in question).

FMP has a quantity of potential records, if he didn't use his full name.

Christine
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 30-06-12, 22:49.
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                          The head of the National Union of Seamen was Joseph Havelock Wilson from Sunderland, though.
                          I think that my Uncle's middle name was a tribute to the chap above.

I spent quite some time looking for his father, (William James Wilson, 1860-1937) in any Merchant Navy records, because I thought that if he had named his first son for him...it followed that he must have been in the Seaman's Union himself...However, despite downloading numerous records from the NA Site, - nothing seemed to fit:-(

I also found that Joseph Havelock Wilson was going through a 'bad patch' in 1894, - (when my Uncle, William Havelock Wilson was born) and therefore it seems a strange sort of tribute...

I'm having no luck whatsoever with this side of the family, - (my late father was brother to William Havelock Wilson)...:-(((

I can't find my Grandfather at all before the 1901 Census in Swansea, - where on earth was he???

Sooooo frustrating!!
                          Holly.

Comment

Working...
                          X