Where is John Eslicks wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is John Eslicks wife

I have found a marriage in 1881 Torrington,Devon for John Eslick Jun Qtr page 5b 560, I cannot find his wife, Can you find her name for me please. I think he married again in 1894 and I have her name as Elizabeth Mules.

greatful for any help.

sunny

They have mistranscribed the ref Sunny. It should read 5b 860. The two possibles are Mary Jane Quick and Helena Stacey. The other married a John Sussex.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 29-06-12, 11:50.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

There is a death for a Mary Jane Eslick aged 25 in Torrington in Dec 1884 - ref 5b 333.

Comment

When and where was John born please Sunny?

Comment

Thanks Chrissie. Elizabeth had 2 sons, Reginald Eslick Mules 1889 and John Eslick Mules in 1888, she then married John Eslick in 1894. Sounds like these two sons were his, as she gave them his name. I haven't been able to find John on the 1891 or 1901 census (he may have been away in the Boer war )to get his dob etc:.I want to find his parents.
          thanks again. I have also jotted down 1911 as John Eslick's death year, but I can't remember where I got this info from.

sunny xx
          Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 29-06-12, 12:08.

Comment

I have to give L a lift into town now, will be back.

sunny xx

Comment

Most odd Sunny. I see that Elizabeth Mules is calling herself Elizabeth Eastlake in 1901 and married. No sign of a marriage to an Eastlake though.

I can't find a death for a John Eslick in 1911 either. What census have you got John on?
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 29-06-12, 12:32.

Comment

Back to Eslick in 1911!!

Comment

I wonder if the Eastlake spelling was the enumerator's interpretation!! I haven't found him on any census either . I think I'll have to wait and go out to the RO next week and look at both marriages for John Eslick, that should give me the right spelling. I am doing the tree of Reginald's grandson and he did say there was something funny/fishy about Reginald's birth.. Thanks for your help Chrissie.

sunny xx

Comment

Oh dohhh, what an idiot I am - Eastlake/Eslick, not so far apart. Obviously a mistranscription.
                    Did you get the name John Eslick from Reginalds birth cert Sunny?

Comment

No I don't have any certs, this is a friend's tree I am doing and he gave me Reginald's full name and that of his brother.

sunny xx

Comment

So where did you get the name John Eslick from? Ahhhh I see, you are putting two and two together. Their middle name and the possible marriage to a John?

Comment

there is a death for a John E Mules in Torrington Devon in Sep 1911 5B 589 age 23

Comment

That will be the other son though Val.
                            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 29-06-12, 15:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              there is a death for a John E Mules in Torrington Devon in Sep 1911 5B 589 age 23
                              Thanks Val that's the death I found and got muddled with John Eslick, the maybe father. Dohhhhh

sunny x

Comment

on that 1901 census Elizabeth Eastlake a few abodes above is a John Mules and family ??any relation to Elizabeth ?

Comment

Hi val, John Mules is Elizabeth's brother just above her address and on page 5 her brother William is also there. Her father was John Mules and on the 1891 she and the boys were living with him, Thanks for your reply.

sunny x

Comment

thought I had found your John Eslick in 1881 as Eslic and 1891 as Estlick but not so sure now as he was born in 1844 I would think yours was born abt 1860ish?

Comment

Hi Val I think his age could be 27 on the 1881, will taKe a look at the 1891 and also 1871 and before in Cornwall. I had it in my mind that he may not have been born in North devon, as men moved to Appledore (near Torrington) to work in the shipyard there, it's a possibilty as he was a lead miner in Cornwall. Off to have a root round.

sunny

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                        They have mistranscribed the ref Sunny. It should read 5b 860. The two possibles are Mary Jane Quick and Helena Stacey. The other married a John Sussex.
                                        Just been having a dig around. Helena Stacey married John Sussex,(found them on the 1891) so that means that John Eslick married Mary Jane Quick who died in 1884. I found Mary Jane Quick aged 21 on the census in Torrington, she was a glover, she was the same age as Elizabeth Mules (also a glover) and probably knew her and John as well. Val found John Eslic on the 1881 also and he was a boarder from Cornwall, he was 27 0r 37 on the census, so it's probably our chap. Can't wait for Tuesday now to go and dig at the RO for them all.

sunny xx

Comment

Working...
                                        X