Cordingleys of Kent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordingleys of Kent

Hi everyone! My name is Julian and I am new, I am hoping someone can give me a hand with my family tree.

I am related to the Cordingley’s of Kent and stuck in finding out some information. I have traced the Cordingley family tree back to:

Charles
    Cordingley
    Born:1807
    Place: Leeds, Kent (Nr. Leeds Castle)
    Death: 1870
    Place:

Marriage: 1843 to:

Henrietta
    Paine
    Born:1810
    Place: Stockbury, Kent
    Death: 1850
    Place:

Charles is my Great x 5 Grandfather and I am trying to find out who is the father of Charles, I have found Cordingleys of Tonbridge in 1750 and was wondering if related, there are eight children named but I cant find the names of there children, I am hoping one of them is a Charles I am looking for, I think it's either William or John. The father of the eight below is a John Cordingley (b.1739) who married a Elizabeth Neville in 1756. If related John would be my Great 7 x Grandfather, I know that Cordingley is a common name and is hard to trace, especially when they use the same names in the family. William and John died in Hollingbourne in Kent which is not far from Leeds in Kent.

William
    Cordingley
    Born:1757 9 Nov
    Place: Tonbridge

Elizabeth
    Cordingley
    Born:1759 12 Oct

Mary
    Cordingley
    Born:1762 27 Jan

John
    Cordingley
    Born:1764 3 Jun

Susan
    Cordingley
    Born:1767 11 Mar

Sarah
    Cordingley
    Born:1770 4 Mar

Jane
    Cordingley
    Born:1773 4 Mar

Fanny
    Cordingley
    Born:1775 2 Apr

I hope it makes sence and thanks for looking.

Julian

Welcome to the forum, Julian.

Do you have the marriage certificate of Charles Cordingley and Henrietta Paine, as that should give you the name of Charles' father.
    Elaine

Comment

You give Henrietta's death date as 1850. However, if I have the right census, she still appears to be alive in 1851 - living with Charles and family in Hollingbourn, Kent.
      http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...002&recoff=5+6
      Ref: HO107; Piece: 1618; Folio: 179; Page: 5

You also say that Henrietta and Charles married in 1843 - is this correct as they appear on the 1841 census together with children being born from c1830

HO107; Piece: 459; Book: 5; Civil Parish: Harietsham; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 9; Folio: 11; Page: 14; Line: 21

I cannot see a marriage registration in the BMD listing for 1843!
      Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine, this is the first time I have done a family tree and the further back in time the less accurate information I can find.

I thought I would have to get the marriage certificate.

Thanks again!

Julian

Comment

Where did you get the date of the marriage from - because I cannot see one in 1843?
          Elaine

Comment

i agree with elaine henrietta is still alive on 1851 census but charles is a widow by 1861 census

Comment

Hi, The marriage date is wrong, I have found the date 12th October 1829 of Charles Cordingley to Henritta Payne on the web.

Info:http://www.curiousfox.com/uk/rsn.las...36727&-nothing

Posted:

I am looking for information on Charles Cordingley born abt 1805 Leeds, died 4th November 1873 in the parish of Harrietsham, Kent. married 12th October 1829 to Henritta Payne born 1810 Stockbury, Kent, died 1857 in the parish of Harrietsham, daughter of John Payne and Catherine Callaway. Issue 11 children, Solomon, Ann, Susan, Stephen, Eliza, Edward, Richard, Frances, Fanny, Emma, Harriet. Regards Jan

-------------------

I am related to Charles through his son Edward Cordingley - > William Henry Cordingley - > William Cordingley - > Harold Cordingley - > Peter Cordingley - > Me!

Regards

Julian

Comment

I cannot see any parish registers available on line for Leeds - but there are some available from the Kent Family History Society ...
                Elaine

Comment

This is no help to your research redfox, but I knew a Chris Cordingley about 30 yrs ago around the bromley, west wickham area of Kent - he would have been around 15or so then maybe. Any relation to you?....but then if you say that Cordingley is a common name....it's like asking 2 people who live in London if they know each other...

Comment

Originally posted by amck37 View Post
                    This is no help to your research redfox, but I knew a Chris Cordingley about 30 yrs ago around the bromley, west wickham area of Kent - he would have been around 15or so then maybe. Any relation to you?....but then if you say that Cordingley is a common name....it's like asking 2 people who live in London if they know each other...

Hi, It is possible, back in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries the Cordingley’s had very large families, ranging from 8 – 11 children per family in Kent and then they had children so somewhere along the family branch grew and split in the South East of England.

I know from my family tree that some Cordingley’s did die near London, so Chris could be a descendant of that branch. I guess they went to London to seek there fortune!

I would like to know when the Cordingleys settled down in Kent as many believe that the Cordingley’s originate from Yorkshire.

Info:

This uncommon surname is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and is a locational name from a small estate / place called Cordonley, originally situated in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The component elements of the placename are believed to be the Olde English pre 7th Century personal name "Carda" (of uncertain etymology), plus "ing" people of, and "leah", grove, glade, field, meadow; hence, "the grove of Carda's people".

Locational surnames, such as this, were originally given to local landowners, and the lord of the manor, and especially as a means of identification to those who left their birthplace to settle elsewhere. Regional and dialectal differences subsequently produced variations on the original spelling; in the modern idiom the surname is found as: Cordonley, Cordonlay and Cordingley. On June 23rd 1586, Ellen, daughter of William Cordingley, was christened at St. Peter's, Leeds, Yorkshire, and on February 11th 1747, Titus Cordingley and Ann Sherrat were married in Manchester Cathedral, Lancashire.

A Coat of Arms granted to the Cordingley family is a silver shield with three azure mullets and a red chief. An arm embowed, vested azure, and holding in the hand an oak branch leaved and acorned proper, emerging out of a gold crown valary, forms the Crest. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Ricardus de Cordonlay, which was dated 1379, in the "Poll Tax Returns Records of Yorkshire", during the reign of King Richard 11, known as "Richard of Bordeaux", 1377 - 1399. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Research www.surnamedb.com

Comment

Hi everyone! I was wondering if any one had any information on a Willyam Cordyngly (William Cordingley)? Born about 1540, he married a widow called Parnell Muncastell on 14 Feb 1567 in Staplehurst Church.

William had 2 sons - Alexander and John (John died at birth).

Parnell father is Thomas and had a sister called Elizabeth.

I am still trying to find a connection with Yorkshire Cordingley's, I thought There was a connection with The Tempest Cordingley's (Tong) line but my William pre-dates it and would still like to know why William Cordingley is in Kent and where did he come from?

Other surnames of interest are: Bryant, Robinson, Watson, Underhill, and Keemar

Regards

Julian

Comment

Working...
                      X