FTM 2012/ What do you think of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2012/ What do you think of it?

I've used FTM 2006 for a while now, but am thinking of taking the plunge and upgrading to FTM 2012. Have looked at reviews on various websites and they are very mixed. Just wondered what people on here think of it.

How easy is it to use and install?
    Will I be able to easily transfer my tree to it?
    What does the sync facility involve?
    Are there any drawbacks?

Any comments would be appreciated please.
    Looking for Allinson, Barker, Bedford, Crosby, Emanuel, Glasby, Heseltine, Lister, Moorhouse, Morgan, Rees, Seymour, Sidwell, Summers, Tate, Turpin, Wilson

I got mine a few weeks ago from amazon - they have the platinum with 6 months ancestry sub included for £29.99 on there now. It seems fine, Ive put mine on this Windows 7 laptop as it seemed to glitch on my VISTA desk top puter but Ive had no trouble with it accept for a bit of a prob with searching ancestry direct from the program. But I prefer to search on ancestry itself anyway.

Comment

Q. How easy is it to use and install?
      A. Very easy to install. You will find the layout very different from FTM 2006 but once you get used to it I think it is far superior.

Q. Will I be able to easily transfer my tree to it?
      A. Yes!

Q. What does the sync facility involve?
      A. It allows you to synchronise your tree between your computer and the Ancestry website. You do not have to use this facility if you don't want to.

Q. Are there any drawbacks?
      A. None that I can think of. Have a look round for some deals such as FTM2012 on Amaxon with a free 6 month sub to Ancestry for around £30 in total. Tesco vouchers do something similar for £20. You will find some recent threads on here with links.

If you do buy it and need any help with installation or use, just ask - plenty of us around who can offer advice.
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Heather and Elaine, you're both tempting me!

Just one more question, what's the difference between the Platinum and Deluxe editions? Have had a look around at prices and even though I already subscribe to Ancestry, Amazon seem to offer the best deal so far.

Thanks again.
        Looking for Allinson, Barker, Bedford, Crosby, Emanuel, Glasby, Heseltine, Lister, Moorhouse, Morgan, Rees, Seymour, Sidwell, Summers, Tate, Turpin, Wilson

Comment

No difference between the program at all.
          The Platinum edition comes with a 6 month Premium Ancestry subscription - definitely the best buy if you are an Ancestry subscriber. You don't have to activate the free sub immediately, just save it until your current Ancestry subscription expires.
          Elaine

Comment

As Elaine says, the only difference is the sub you get. I think the De Luxe has only the basic essential sub but the platinum is the way to go with the premium sub on ancestry.

Comment

Oh thanks, so that's well worth the money. Think I might take the plunge then!

Comment

I've taken the plunge now and ordered one from Amazon!! Will let you know what I think of it. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Well it came today. Was very easy to install, like you told me it would be. Managed to install it myself, no problem, and I am a bit of a techophobe!!

It is very different to my old one and does have certain things that I maybe won't use, but will get used to it,
                  and I still have my old version on the computer if I need it.

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Have you registered it and activated your sub?

Comment

I have registered it and activated the sub Heather. It's added it onto my previous sub for me.

Struggling a bit so far with the programme, but I'll get used to it

Comment

Working...
                      X