• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Records

Has anyone used this site?

http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/

It contains records for the following;

WW1, WW2, Crimean War, Boer War, Napoleonic and early 19th century records

Whilst registration is free - does anyone know what the cost of membership is? It doesn't seem to be apparent from the terms ???
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

I've looked at it a number of times, although I have never subscribed.
    My gut feeling is that it is one of the sites that reproduces databases which are generally available elsewhere, e.g. Ancestry, FMP etc.
    I might be wrong so it would be interesting to hear from anyone that has used it!
    Elaine

Comment

I'd like to look further into that. Just keyed in the name of my g/father whom I know is on several data bases and it didn't come up with one hit. Left wondering.
      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

its telling me I am already registered ??? but is not giving an option to supply you with a new password if you have forgotten yours ?

Comment

£8.95 for 1 month, £25.96 for 3 month, £47.95 for 6 month or £85.95 for 12 month sub. I used a specially created hotmail address to register - its showing part of a record for my cousin who served (and was killed) in the RAF during WW2 Full image of record will be viewable if I subscribe. This is the bit to watch out for:
          "To ensure you receive uninterrupted access to Forces Genealogy, your subscription will be automatically renewed for successive periods of four weeks for your convenience. You can cancel this service by changing your profile by setting the autorenew setting to no for your convenience. By submitting this form you are agreeing to our
          Terms and conditions
          ."
          Last edited by JudithM; 28-06-12, 16:29.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I can't see how that site can have WW2 attestations. I would imagine the record they have relates to his death.
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
              I can't see how that site can have WW2 attestations. I would imagine the record they have relates to his death.
              Yes sorry, I've amended my post. The partial image did have as a header the top part of an attestation record (not my man's) but then under it were the details available on CWGC site. Needless to say I won't be coughing up any cash
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                The partial image did have as a header the top part of an attestation record (not my man's) but then under it were the details available on CWGC site.
                In other words ... misleading! Someone who was not aware of the CWGC site may well have paid for a record which is available for free.
                Elaine

Comment

I wouldn't bother with that site to be honest. I can't imagine they have anything that can't be found online elsewhere, and, as in this example, for free!
                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your comments and advice .... I read the section about applying for a researcher and wondered then what the point of subscribing was ???

I was specifically interested in the Crimean War and Boer War records ... are these available elsewhere? e.g. Ancestry

Comment

You may find something on Findmypast.
                      Elaine

Comment

Also Medal Rolls for both the Crimea and Boer War are on Ancestry.

Comment

LL,
                          I believe FMP has military records of that era, however there is a forum called the Victorian

Wars Forum, which is free to join and could probably answer specific questions. This forum operates

out of UK.
                          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                            LL,
                            however there is a forum called the Victorian

Wars Forum, which is free to join and could probably answer specific questions. This forum operates

out of UK.
                            Thanks for this info David - I'll take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                              Also Medal Rolls for both the Crimea and Boer War are on Ancestry.
                              Thanks Ann - looks like I'm going to have a busy few hours!

Comment

Working...
                              X