Challenge; Backwards, sideways or forwards from 1823

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge; Backwards, sideways or forwards from 1823

Looking for something to kick start this line again, George Hay was a clock and watch maker in Clerkenwell, married to Mary unknown, year and place of marriage also unknown. He died in 1823 leaving four children, a son (George) is well documented and went on to become a coastguard but the rest of the family, including his wife, parents, siblings and remaining children are a complete mystery.

There isn't much to go on except for his will, transcribed below... I know a little about the Thomas Bates mentioned, he was connected to The Three Grapes Public House and whizzed the boys off into The Marine Society.

This is the last will and testament of me George Hay of No 10 Clerkenwell Green in the County of Middlesex Clock and Watch Maker that is to say I give and bequeath to my mother Barbara Hay the sum of forty pounds to be applied by her in such mannner as she shall think best in or towards maintenance and bringing up of my youngest daughter Sarah Hay and as to all the rest residue and remainder of my personal estate & effects whatsoever and wherever I give and bequeath the same unto my Brother in Law Thomas Bates of ? Dorogate Hill [it might be Ludgate, badly transcribed] upon trust by sale to convert into money such part of the said Residue of my Estate as shall not consist of money and by and with the same and my ready money in the first place after payment of all expences attending such sale to pay all my just debts funeral and testamentary expences and subject thereto to pay or apply the Residue for the use and benefit of my three other children namely George Hay Jane Hay and Frederick Charles Hay in such manner as the said Thomas Bates think best and most eligible and I nominate and appoint the said Thomas Bates sole Executor of this my last Will and Testament In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the eleventh day of January in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty three George Hay Signed sealed published and declared by the said George Hay the testator as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us James Mc Kash Jacob Evans

Proved at London 18th April 1823 before the Worshipful Jesse Addams doctor of Law & surrogate by the oath of Thomas Bates the sole executor to whom admon. Was granted having been first sworn dult to adm.

Any help appreciated, the only census returns I have are for the son George b1809, the remainder have never been found as dob's etc are unknown.
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 28-06-12, 00:10.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
    George Hay was a clock and watch maker in Clerkenwell,
    There was a guild for Clock & Watch makers. Have you checked Ancestry's London Freedom records for George? What about the apprenticeship taxation records?

Another possible apprenticeship source is on British Origins. It has indexed many London apprenticeships - indexed for apprentice, apprentice's father, and master - but not all guilds are recorded in it (for instance, no weavers).

Dorogate Hill [it might be Ludgate, badly transcribed]
    Or Dowgate?

Comment

It's been a long time since I really looked at this line and so much has been released since then, I don't have a sub to ancestry and TNA doesn't seem to have anything save for the probate record I have and a couple of references to Thomas Bates.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

peculiar how the will doesn't mention his wife, mary does it?
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Glen
          I think Photofamily may be right about it being Dowgate.
          In the new Land tax records on Ancestry there's a Thomas Bates living Dowgate Hill up to 1838.
          In 1839 Widow Bates is listed & in 1840 the house is empty listed as late Bates so she had either died or moved.
          This could be Thomas Bates' will.

Prerogative Court of Canterbury and related Probate Jurisdictions: Will Registers.
          Thomas Bates Victualler College Street formerly called Elbow Lane , City of London.

• Collection: Records of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
          • Date range: 26 September 1839 - 26 September 1839
          • Reference:PROB 11/1916/50
          • Subjects:Wills and probate

Moggie

Comment

I don't have a sub to ancestry
            Me, neither, right now. I go to the library to use it.

Comment

on family search there is a George Hayes birth November 1799 at SAINT MARY AT HILL,​LONDON,​
              father Thomas Hayes, mother Barbara.

any use ???

Comment

Just to confirm from the originals
                London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials,
                Name: George Hayes
                Baptism Date: 21 Nov 1779
                Parish: St Mary at Hill
                County: London
                Borough: City of London
                Parent(s): Thomas Hayes,
                Barbara Hayes
                Record Type: Christening
                Register Type: Parish Register

Born 8th Nov
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I'm assuming Mary died pre 1823 as the children were left in the care of granny and an uncle,

a possible marriage;

Possible marriage
                  Groom: HAY, GEORGE

Ancestry isn't available in my local libraries, Scotland and Ancestry don't mix, well my Scottish Council and Ancestry don't anyway.

Bride: NYE, MARY
                  Date: 1796~MAR 07
                  Parish: EALING
                  County: MIDDLESEX, ENGLAND

Add in the baptism given above and they are definate possibles

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

British Origins does not index clock/watch makers. Also, if one of George's sons had apprenticed during the time period (1442-1850) in one of the indexed guilds, George probably would have shown up as the father of the apprentice - didn't find that either.

I didn't find an apprenticeship nor freedom record
                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 29-06-12, 22:07.

Comment

Do you have the burial of George Hay, Age 4m, from "Register of Burials at the Countess of Huntingdon's Chapel in the parish of St James Clerkenwell, Spa Fields, London"
                      8 August 1824
                      Place of Abode: St Andrews
                      Registration Town/County: Clerkenwell, London

from thegenealogist

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                        British Origins does not index clock/watch makers. Also, if one of George's sons had apprenticed during the time period (1442-1850) in one of the indexed guilds, George probably would have shown up as the father of the apprentice - didn't find that either.

I didn't find an apprenticeship nor freedom record
                        The two sons went into the marine society, George jnr became a mariner and then joined the coastguard service, Frederick Charles is a complete unknown, if he stayed in a maritime occupation perhaps he was at sea, he hasn't appeared in a census so maybe he passed away or settled overseas.

The biggest problem is tracing anything for George snr, apart from his death and probate there isn't anything to indicate where or when he was born though the baptism posted earlier certainly looks promising.

As for the 1824 burial, I didn't have that and have made a note for future reference.
                        Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 29-06-12, 23:00.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I understand that many clock/watchmakers were Huguenots. One possible ancestor that I researched was a Watchmaker & a Quaker

Comment

Working...
                          X