Missing birth for Alexander LOWTHER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing birth for Alexander LOWTHER

I am struggling to find a birth for Alexander LOWTHER. I currently know the following:

- I can find Alexander Lowther on the 1911 census, living in Ryton on Tyne in Durham aged 6.

- I have a copy of his marriage certificate to Ruth Annie ELLIOT in December 1925 where his age is 21. The certificate confirms that his father's name is John Henry LOWTHER (so I know that I am looking at the right 1911 census record).

- I can find a death in Q3 1959 in Northumberland. Name: LOWTHER, Alexander District: Newcastle upon Tyne County: Northumberland Year of registration: 1959 Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep Age at death:54 Volume no: 1B Page no: 98

All of which suggest that he was born sometime in the second half of 1904.

I have searched for a possible birth on FindMyPast, FreeBMD, FamilySearch but can't find a birth or baptism which looks like it could be him.

How do I confirm his mother's name? I can make the assumption that it is most likely to be Jane MOORE from the 1911 census, however, as he is a direct ancestor I want to be confident of her name before I start to look into Jane MOORE in more detail.

Any suggestions as to where I look next?

Many thanks in advance for any help
    Geri

Could this be him ??

Isaac Alexander M Luther Sep 1903 10a 835 South Shields Durham

Comment

there is a Male Lowther born Mar 1903 6b 344 in Leek Staffs

Comment

Can't see a suitable registration for Alexander. District should be Newcastle upon Tyne, according to birth place on 1911 census.
        Looking at the 1911 census there is a John Henry Lowther born 1904 Newburn Northumberland. Registration district for this should be Castle Ward. Have you found his birth registration?
        Elaine

Comment

Hello Geri

you could buy the parents marriage certificate, this would enable you to verify the father and also the mother. [failing that you could always purchase a birth cert for a known sibling to confirm MMN]
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Geri,
            Have you tried the local Register Office. There is always the possibility that the registration hasn't filtered through to the GRO.
            Elaine

Comment

I see the logic of Jane Moore being his mother as Scott Nichol Lowther aged 11 born Brampton accoding to the 1911 census seems to have been registered as Scott Nichol Moore in Brompton Q1 1900.
              I looked for him in 1901 to see if that gave any clues but he was a nursechild with a family called McKenzie.
              Last edited by JudithM; 26-06-12, 21:49.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Wow, thank you for the quick replies.

I can't find John Henry's birth registration either at the moment.

I have found their younger sister Violet's in Durham in 1910.

The oldest child Scott Nichol (I don't think that John Henry senior is his father, as the only possible birth registration I have for that name is 1900 in Cumberland for Scott Nichol MOORE, which isn't a great surprise as John and Jane only get married in 1903, again in Cumberland).

I haven't tried the Local Register Office yet - I will try them.

Thanks again
                Geri

Comment

according to 1911 cens John Henry has been married 8yrs, so this should be a marriage yr of 1903.. so we need ideally a JH marrying a Jane in 1903 :D
                  Julie

Comment

Judith - Yes, it is a bit frustrating that Scott isn't living with Jane in 1901.

Comment

isnt there a Durham BMD service that is online?? am sure that babs has used them in the past
                      Julie

Comment

UKBMD Local BMD Links for Births, Marriages and Deaths Indexes Online. Local BMD Indexes, Family History, Baptisms, Marriages, Burials, Monumental Inscriptions, Civil Registration, GRO Indexes, BMD, BDM, UK 1841 to 1911 censuses. Who Do You Think You Are?

you need to look in the list and then click on the icon
                        Julie

Comment

With a birthplace of Benwell, then it should come under Newcastle upon Tyne.
                          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                            With a birthplace of Benwell, then it should come under Newcastle upon Tyne.
                            http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/your-cou...rical-searches
                            Julie

Comment

Thank you!

I will look into all of those links and see what I can find.

Geri

Comment

Working...
                              X