Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you find the link?

Hi

Im struggling with one side of my husbands family at the moment, can you find the link?

1911 census - Caroline Rose Ellen Jones (nee Gooding) aged 36 living with husband John Phillip and "Aunt" Ellen Rose in Portsea, Hampshire

Carolines mother is Margaret Kidd born in Aberdeen c1856 (only one census has something other than Scotland and says Aberdeen)

In 1871 Margaret Kidd is living as a visitor with the Rose family including Helen Rose. (there are other people who are actually listed as "relative")
    ED, institution, or vessel:13 Household schedule number:212 Piece:1140 Folio:20 Page Number: 33

I have managed to trace the Rose family back to Scotland in 1851, however the head of the household is always Margaret Rose born c1818 in Aberdeen and she is either listed as Wife or Widow

From Scotlands People the only birth looks plausible is a Margaret Lawrence Kidd born 1855 in Aberdeen with parents William and Margaret nee Bruce, although as its after 1855 I dont have enough credits to look at all births. (their marriage was in 1854)

Two of the Rose Family I believe I have found on Scotlands people too, the birth of the first two children (including Helen) with parents listed as Alexander Rose and Margaret Mitchell. (married in 1838). This is confirmed by the eldest child Margaret who is listed as Margaret Miller and her marriage cert states father James Rose and mother Margaret Mitchell

Caroline lived with Ellen/Helen Rose from 1891 and is listed as boarder or vice versa when Caroline marries until 1911 when Ellen is listed as Aunt.

At some point Caroline and Alfred move to Scotland as they both die in Edinburgh and the eldest childs WW1 service records state an address in Edinburgh so must have moved between 1911 and 1917.

Is it possible there is a relationship there especially with Caroline being given the middle names Rose Ellen or do you think she was perhaps just someone who happened to do a lot for Caroline as a young person and so there was an affection?

Is there anything else i can look at to try and narrow it down?
    Last edited by Lensgirl; 25-06-12, 20:48.
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

I haven't used SP before Robyne, I will have a better look in the morning at this.. am quite tired atmo.. :smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Just a little more grist for the mill.
      As Margaret Kidd, 16, is merely shown as a visitor to the Rose household in 1871, it may be that she and Ellen/Helen Rose were close work colleagues at one of the corset factories in Portsmouth. Just as intriguing perhaps is why Margaret Rose, widow for some years, moved from Scotland to Portsmouth and from where, for that matter, did Margaret Kidd also appear there at such a young age.
      Two years later, when Margaret Kidd, 17, spinster, Needlewoman of 42 Havant Street, married James Nicholas Gooding, 20, batchelor, Rivetter of 22 King Street, on 11 August 1873 at Holy Trinity, Portsea their deceased fathers were named as James Kidd and Henry Gooding. Witnesses were Henry Sanger and Caroline Gooding. Caroline and James Gooding seem to have been siblings, as shown in earlier censuses at Southampton. This does not help with the Kidd/Rose relationship and although there is a father's name for Margaret Kidd, there can be no guarantee of its accuracy.

merleyone

Comment

HI

Got a little confused ! Whos Alfred ?
        Also the Margaret Kidd mentioned in your second message who married James Gooding has her father listed as James so cant be the Margaret Laurence Kidd as her parents were William Kidd and Margaret Bruce - does that seem right (if of course the fathers names are correct)
        Sorry just wanted to get things right in my head
        Just had a look at census so I know whos who
        Last edited by floss; 27-06-12, 15:57.

Comment

Still not sure of connection but Margaret Laurence Kidd born 07/01/1855 in Fraserburgh to William Kidd and Margaret Bruce. On the 1871 census (only transcription from Ancestry) Manners Inn, 69 Shore Street, Fraserburgh. Margaret Bruce, head, age 74, lving with grandaughters Margaret Kidd, age 16, born Fraserburgh and Williamina, age 6, born Fraserburgh. Still no connection to the Rose family :(

Comment

1901 scot: is this the right family then?

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

my head is in a right old muddle..
            Julie

Comment

sorry for the delay only just picked this up, where did you get the marriage details from for Margaret Kidd? That would of saved me loads of pennies with Scotlands People trying to find Margarets birth!

sorry Caroline Rose Ellen Gooding married Alfred Jones, not John Phillip who was Alfreds dad! nope wrong way round, Caroline married John Phillip and they were the parents of Alfred!!
              Last edited by Lensgirl; 28-06-12, 17:33.
              Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Marriage details from IGI I love Scotland People but it gets so expensive wish they did a subscription like Ancestry.
                Didnt Caroline marry John Philip Jones ? just looked at the 1911 census
                Last edited by floss; 27-06-12, 19:07.

Comment

im feeling a bit thick, i cant find it at Family search?
                  Robyne

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    1901 scot: is this the right family then?

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

my head is in a right old muddle..
                    Think this is the same Margaret as I picked up on the 1871 living with grandmother Margaret Bruce, not sure if its the one we're looking for but if it was easy it wouldnt be half as much fun :D

Comment

Sorry think I've got a bit confused, got birth details from IGI . Merleyone gave marriage details and the marriage was in Portsea not Scotland

Comment

oh good, glad i wasnt losing the plot its bad enough trying to get my head around the ones i do know about
                        Robyne

Comment

I must be having a brain fog, I can't find Margaret at all on ANY census!
                          Julie

Comment

right, lets see: I know this is going over old ground but it helps to be able to see what you see. will add more when I find them.. to this post.

1871:MISTRANS AS KEDD ON ANCESTRY>>>>>http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...966731&recoff=
                            Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1140; Folio: 20; Page: 33; GSU roll: 827784.

1881: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=6532756
                            Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 1140; Folio: 58; Page: 25; GSU roll: 1341278.

1891:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7572
                            Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 862; Folio: 67; Page: 13; GSU roll: 6095972.

this is interesting, as when I was looking before I did find another Ellen Rose, though I suppose it could be totally unconnected!

1901:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1901&indiv=1
                            Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 999; Folio: 15; Page: 21.

1911: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ngland&indiv=1
                            Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 5577; Schedule Number: 65.
                            Last edited by Darksecretz; 27-06-12, 21:46.
                            Julie

Comment

do you have the hyperlink to the 1871 census at all?? I am struggling to find it. thanks.
                              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                do you have the hyperlink to the 1871 census at all?? I am struggling to find it. thanks.
                                s'ok I have now found it!!..duh!
                                Julie

Comment

ooooh I have found a Margaret ROSE in 1841

Source Citation: Parish: Old Machar; ED: 21; Page: 6; Line: 1000; Year: 1841.
                                  Julie

Comment

HI Julie

Yes census are the ones I found as well, still no connection to Rose yet tho !

Comment

If it helps, here is the Rose family in 1861 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...604241&recoff=

would be great if we could find out Margaret Kidds fathers occupation that might help narrow her down in the 1851 and 1861 census
                                      Robyne

Comment

Also the mother in the 1841 census found was Sarah Fraser. Going to see if there is a Fraser/Kidd link
                                        Robyne

Comment

Working...
                                        X