Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What town/county is near or next to Eldersfield, Worc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What town/county is near or next to Eldersfield, Worc?

If a female died in 1788 in Eldersfield, Worc, and the first of her children was born in 1776 also in Eldersfield - and no record of a marriage, what would be the nearest other town to Eldersfield Worc I could check out for her marriage? (She did have 4 children born in Eldersfield, so it's not as though it was a one-off.
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

Hi jood,

See here .............. http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/nea...PN=Eldersfield

Comment

Hi Susan, thanks for the site. It was a long shot, but I couldn't find them.
      Any suggestions what else I could look up?
      Details are Thomas Evans b ? d ? ? Mary ? died 31 Oct 1788, Eldersfield Worc. 4 children, first born 8 Mary 1776 in Eldersfield.
      The marriage is what I am after for starters.

Comment

Sorry - our messages crossed. Yes, I had seen that site - that's where I got the death and the children from.

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
          Hi Susan, thanks for the site. It was a long shot, but I couldn't find them.
          Any suggestions what else I could look up?
          Details are Thomas Evans b ? d ? ? Mary ? died 31 Oct 1788, Eldersfield Worc. 4 children, first born 8 Mary 1776 in Eldersfield.
          The marriage is what I am after for starters.
          Sorry jood, but no ideas. Unfortunately Thomas Evans is a popular name, as is Mary. Have you thought they may be from Wales, Evans is a Welsh surname and Eldersfield isn't a million miles from Wales or the Welsh borders. Surprisingly some folks did travel quite far even in the 1700's, and many folks moved up to 20 miles or so. I suggest you widen your search. Any clues from the couples children's names? Do any have a middle name which could be their mother's surname? Naming patterns can be useful - first dau named after maternal grandmother, first son after paternal grandfather, second dau after paternal grandmother, second son after maternal grandfather.

Comment

No, the children were just Elizabeth, William, George & Joseph - not really helpful! I've never ventured into Welsh family history, but will give it a go. I thought Evans was a good old english name lol

Comment

There's a possible baptism for Thomas Evans on family search.

Thomas Evans, 4th Oct 1739, Eldersfield, parents: William and Ann.

William and Ann also had other children bap. in Eldersfield, namely - John, Samuel, William, Edward, George and Sarah.

Comment

And a marriage for William and Ann.

Wm Evans to Ann Coles, 26 Sep 1739 Eldersfield

Comment

Youve been a great help thanks Susan. That looks more like them - they werent on any of the other sites I've been searching.

And note Thomas the father named his children after his siblings - which is more like it.

Thanks heaps - I think that is the furtherest I've got back in any of my trees

Comment

Anne Evans baptised Eldersfield 24 Jan 1768, parents: Thomas and Ann. Maybe Thomas was married twice?

Comment

That is quite possible, but I had put in a 2nd marriage Thomas to Sarah Barrow on 26 June 1793 and they had a daughter Mary Ann on 21 Aug 1793 in Eldersfield ( a quickie by the sounds of things lol)

Ohhhh wrong person, you are talking about Thomas's sister-in-law?

Actually I am a bit confused who Ann Evans is.
                      Last edited by jood; 24-06-12, 05:13.

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
                        Actually I am a bit confused who Ann Evans is.
                        I'm thinking Ann could be Thomas' dau to a first marriage. Thomas' wife Ann possibly died and he then married Mary. I can find only one child baptised in Eldersfield to Thos and Ann.

Must get some shut eye now it's early hours here in UK. Good luck. If I find anything tomorrow I'll post.

Comment

I had a look at my tree, and Joseph Evans was my ancestor - he was a nurseryman, I knew that - the 1841 census shows him to be in Cheltenham or Charlton Kings, and his wife Mary who was born in Mitcheldean. In 1851 he gives his age as 63, still a nurseryman, and was born Worcester, Glenfield (which I've been told is a mistype, and should be Eldersfield)

There is a possible baptism for Joseph at Eldersfield on 30th January 1786, parents Thomas & Mary Evans. Joseph Evans & Mary Miller, both of full age, married at Gloucester St. Michael on 6th September 1809. They were both residing in Gloucester, the marriage was by banns, and the witnesses were Elizabeth Blossom and George [illegible] It says the names of witnesses were not clear - I suspect Blossom is wrong (Bloxsom or some variant seems more likely)
                          Joseph Evans and Mary Miller both of this parish of St. Michaels in Gloucester were married by banns in the parish church on 10th September 1809
                          Signed Joseph Evans Mary Miller
                          In the presence of Elizabeth Bassom George Evans
                          A nurseryman in 1835.

It was Joseph's marriage I was originally looking for. From his will - it says Mary Ann Evans was present at his death. She was an unmarried daughter.

I don't know if any of this helps. (note witness George Evans)

We still think Joseph remarried after Mary's death in 1788 to Sarah Barrow in 1793, tho the birth of their child 2 months later could be sus.

Comment

seems all solid jood, if it were my family, that would be my thought's. and marriages with the bride heavily pregnant were not uncommon lol. she may have been one of those girls who have little basketballs, instead of putting on a bit.

Comment

I'm hoping so Kyle - I am rather chuffed as this is the furtherest I've got back in any one of my trees!

Comment

well i'm glad! and evans too haha. there's like 10 surnames in wales and evans is one!!

Comment

The fact that I knew he was a nurseryman did help me get on the right track, Kyle. Thank goodness he wasn't welsh - I know nothing about Wales! lol (I do know the tune of their National Amthem tho - and love it)

Comment

national anthem from rugby? ;)

Comment

No doubt they do play the anthem there, but I don't watch rugby. I had a friend in Wales who told me that it was usual for them to adjourn to the pub on a Friday night - and always there would be a rousing rendition of the anthem. I looked it up on a site, and played it back.

Comment

Working...
                                      X