Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does this stand for please?

Hello
    On this census, as on a couple of others I have found, the occupation is listed as M? and F?

Does this stand for anything or is it just a gender indentifier?

Many thanks

Debbs

I think it is MS and FS which probably means male servant and female servant.

Others in the household look like banker, merchant etc. Posh area
    Last edited by WendyPusey; 23-06-12, 16:32.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

MS and FS for male and female servants are a standard abbreviation on the 1841 census. Sadly Ancestry don't show the "instructions" page of the census where you would learn all the details of what was required of the enumerator.

Before Ancestry etc brought out their fully indexed census collection I bought CDs of County census images. On them you could see all the details including who the enumerator was and sometimes they had helpfully drawn a map of their area. If you went to your library or Archive I think you would be able to see all this on their film or fiche collection. Just another example of how we all learn by seeing something almost accidentally. (as has been discussed on another thread of yours!)

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
        MS and FS for male and female servants are a standard abbreviation on the 1841 census. Sadly Ancestry don't show the "instructions" page of the census where you would learn all the details of what was required of the enumerator.

Before Ancestry etc brought out their fully indexed census collection I bought CDs of County census images. On them you could see all the details including who the enumerator was and sometimes they had helpfully drawn a map of their area. If you went to your library or Archive I think you would be able to see all this on their film or fiche collection. Just another example of how we all learn by seeing something almost accidentally. (as has been discussed on another thread of yours!)

Anne
        Its been a while since I last had an Ancestry sub but I used to be able to see the name of the enumerator and the written route they would take by clicking above the original copy of the census page which would take you to the enumeratin districts and then select the district you want and there it was. (If my memory is correct)

Edna

Comment

I might have missed it but all I could see now was the page with the description of the area and route taken but not all the pages of instructions and the signature of the enumerator. One of them was an ancestor of mine!

Anne
          Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 23-06-12, 21:13.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

You can find copies of the instructions for Enumerators on the Histpop website....

Census Population History Registration Registrar-General

The website also has a wealth of other stuff.

One for a rainy day to explore and get lost (in a good way) in

Chris
              Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Wow Chris thank you, what an interesting web site!

Comment

Working...
                X