Julia Quarterman (main or maine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julia Quarterman (main or maine)

Joshua Twitchin a butcher married Mary Killick 7th Oct 1816 at St Mary's Lambeth.
    They had 10 children between 1816 and 1838 all accounted for except one named Robert born c1831.
    Three brothers in this family James Francis 1825,Richard 1827 and Robert all butchers emigrated to Manhattan in 1851 on the vessel 'Margaret Evans' and set up their own butchers business.
    The passenger list stated Robert's age as 21 which fits my assumption of his birth year.
    Robert married a Julia Lush (or Lursch) in Manhattan 1880 and it says;
    .................................................. ..............
    Robert Twitchim (a usual mistranscription)
    of 72nd st. and 9th Ave.
    47 years old ..(which makes his birth 1833)
    Butcher
    b. London England
    Father: Joshua
    Mother: Julia Quarterman ???????
    .................................................. ......................
    now was Robert's birth as a result of a dalliance between his
    father Joshua and Julia Quarterman who perhaps could not care
    for her son and is this why Robert's birth has not been found?

It must have been a second marriage for Julia as her father was stated as Luigi Tinelli an Italian who become a Confederate General in the US Civil War.
    joboy
    Last edited by joboy; 23-06-12, 08:14.

Robert son of Joshua and Mary Twitchin was baptised on 15th May 1831 at St Matthew's church Brixton, Surrey. Father's occupation butcher. I'm not clear - are you asking if this Robert later claimed his mother was Julia Quarterman, or suggesting there was another Robert? Could it be Joshua was widowed and married a second time to Julia and Robert named his step mother?
    Last edited by JudithM; 23-06-12, 06:58.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you Judith ....... I have never found the birth of Robert and your detail fits.
      Where my family history falls apart is that Robert when he wed Julia Lush/Lursch he says his father was Joshua which is correct but says his mother was Julia Quarterman which baffles me completely.
      As you say Robert was born 1831 which puts him in the middle of the 1816 and 1838 range of Joshua and Mary's children.
      joboy

Comment

You might like the moderators to move this thread onto the Family Research board where you may get other people involved in the quest.

1841 census living at 80 Hope Place Lambeth Surrey
        Joshua TWITCHEN aged 55 Butcher
        Mary Twitchen aged 45
        Ann aged 20
        James aged 15
        Richard aged 14
        Robert aged 10
        Mary aged 8
        All shown as born in County except Joshua.

1851 census 8 Milford Place, Lambeth
        Joshua Twitchun aged 67 occupation nil born Fulham, Middlesex
        Mary wife aged 53 occupation school mistress born Coulsden Surrey
        Anne James and Mary still living with them. Oh well, that rules out my idea of Robert remembering a step mum called Julia.

Here's another thought. Perhaps Mary Twitchen's maiden name was Quarterman (there were certainly people of that name in Lambeth at the time) and the first name Julia was an error on the register - confusing her name with that of Robert's bride.
        Last edited by JudithM; 23-06-12, 09:18.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

As Julia is/was rather an unusual name at the time, I agree with Judith that Julia Quarterman is something to do with wife Julia and not with Robert.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
            You might like the moderators to move this thread onto the Family Research board where you may get other people involved in the quest.
            Done!
            Elaine

Comment

Oooh Quartemaines are my Family!

Let me see if I have a Julia anywhere

Debbs

The simple answer to that is no I don't!
              Last edited by Debbss; 23-06-12, 10:33.

Comment

What you have conjointly found in the main coincides with that which I have and I am inclined to agree that the entry in the marriage registry of Robert to Julia was erroneous.
                Thank you everyone for helping me to 'firm up' my thoughts on this one.
                joboy

Comment

Working...
                X