Can anyone help me

I would like to know where my Grandparents and Uncle are buried

I Know that they lived in Oakdale near Blackwood South Wales

There surname is Holloway

Henry Holloway

Phoebe Holloway

Henry Holloway

Welcome to FTF!

In order to help usefully, it would help us if we had some idea where you've looked so far. Googling, for example, gives names of severa cemeteries in the area, but they might have been buried in the local churchyard, if it were not full.

Local family history societies often have useful info.

Do you have any idea when they died, each of them?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

A full name , approximate age and place of birth would also help. There is a Death Registration in 1975 for a Henry James Holloway in Newport, Gwent but I have no idea if he is your relation.

Comment

Dates

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
        Welcome to FTF!

In order to help usefully, it would help us if we had some idea where you've looked so far. Googling, for example, gives names of severa cemeteries in the area, but they might have been buried in the local churchyard, if it were not full.

Local family history societies often have useful info.

Do you have any idea when they died, each of them?

Christine
        Henry James Holloway 1876 -1953

Phoebe Ann Holloway Nee Howells 1883-1964

Henry Holloway 11 Feb 1910 - 1975

Thanks Doreen
        Last edited by Guest; 23-06-12, 10:05.

Comment

Henry James Holloway 1876 -1953

Phoebe Ann Holloway Nee Howells 1883-1964

Henry Holloway 11 Feb 1910 - 1975 so could be my relation

Thanks Doreen

Comment

Hi Doreen and welcome to FTF
            Phoebe Ann Holloway appears to have died under the registration area of Caerleon, Monmouthshire - June 1964 aged 81 - ref 8c 112 and Henry James born 1876 under the same area Dec 1953 aged 77 - ref 8c 155.

If you google you will find that the two closest ones are Christchurch cemetery, Newport and St Woolos cemetery, Newport. This is a page that gives contact details for both - http://www.newportonline.org.uk/info/2640/

Do you know what religion they were, as there was a baptist cemetery too but you can read what happened to that here -
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 23-06-12, 11:09.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Burials

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              Hi Doreen and welcome to FTF
              Phoebe Ann Holloway appears to have died under the registration area of Caerleon, Monmouthshire - June 1964 aged 81 - ref 8c 112 and Henry James born 1876 under the same area Dec 1953 aged 77 - ref 8c 155.

If you google you will find that the two closest ones are Christchurch cemetery, Newport and St Woolos cemetery, Newport. This is a page that gives contact details for both - http://www.newportonline.org.uk/info/2640/

Do you know what religion they were, as there was a baptist cemetery too but you can read what happened to that here -
              http://www.caerleon.net/history/reco...rials/swa.html
              They were protestant thanks for all your help with this

Doreen

Comment

Originally posted by DoDixon View Post
                They were protestant thanks for all your help with this
                Just to be a bit picky, any Christian who isn't Roman Catholic is a Protestant. So Church of England and Baptist are both Protestant.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                  Just to be a bit picky, any Christian who isn't Roman Catholic is a Protestant. So Church of England and Baptist are both Protestant.
                  While we're being pedantic...
                  Some of the Church of England is catholic (as distinct from Catholic... actually, on reflection, some of us are Catholic - just not Roman Catholic!).
                  And I doubt that the Orthodox Churches perceive themselves as "Protestant", either! ;)

Christine
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 24-06-12, 17:42.
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Burial

While we're being pedantic...
                    Some of the Church of England is catholic (as distinct from Catholic... actually, on reflection, some of us are Catholic - just not Roman Catholic!).
                    And I doubt that the Orthodox Churches perceive themselves as "Protestant", either! ;)

Christine
                    Church of England hope this helps

Comment

And being even more picky if they were anglican but went to church in Wales it would have been the Church In Wales not the Church of England.

There's a good village website for Oakdale. http://www.oakdalevillage.net/anglican.html is the link to the church page on that site and gives details for the rector, also contact details for the graveyard It doesn't make it clear if the graveyard is still in use but if I were you I would contact either the rector or Mrs Gladwyn who may be able to tell you if your relatives had their funerals in St David's church and where they were buried. If not it would be worth asking if there is a local newspaper which may have published a funeral notice.
                      Last edited by JudithM; 24-03-13, 12:16.
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

For anyone looking around the edges of this info, to see if there's any other way to "get a handle" on it, it's worth noting that Phoebe Ann HOWELLS appears to have married Harry HOLLOWAY in the June Q of 1901 (in Pontypridd). From that I infer that "Henry" sometimes used "Harry".

Christine
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 24-03-13, 14:04.

Comment

I had a look here: http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home

But couldn't spot anything useful for this particular puzzle.

Christine

Comment

Henry

For anyone looking around the edges of this info, to see if there's any other way to "get a handle" on it, it's worth noting that Phoebe Ann HOWELLS appears to have married Harry HOLLOWAY in the June Q of 1901 (in Pontypridd). From that I infer that "Henry" sometimes used "Harry".

Christine
                            Christine

This is correct as I have the Wedding Certificate

Comment

Found where they are buried its at the Graveyard at Cwrt-y-Bella, Argoed

Comment

Well done, DoDixon!

It would be interesting to know how you tracked them down, that information might help other searchers.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by DoDixon View Post
                                  Found where they are buried its at the Graveyard at Cwrt-y-Bella, Argoed
                                  that IS good news! well done!

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                  Well done, DoDixon!

It would be interesting to know how you tracked them down, that information might help other searchers.

OC
                                  yes, it would be good to hear the process, like OC says, it could help others :smilee:
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                  X