X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online/Distance Learning course

Hi I have just come across an online course-
    Family History Skills & Strategies (Intermediate) with Certificate

(Not sure if I can put the course Provider in here or not)

Has anyone done one of these?

If so, are they worth the investment? (Ten modules ranging from £50 -£60 per module)

Many thanks
    Debbs

Hi Debbs,
    Sounds interesting. It would be interesting to know the course provider and the course content.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbss View Post
      Hi I have just come across an online course-
      Family History Skills & Strategies (Intermediate) with Certificate

(Not sure if I can put the course Provider in here or not)

No problem Debbs
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine

I would value your opinions on it please

Debbs
        Last edited by Debbss; 22-06-12, 18:04.

Comment

I believe the courses have a good reputation and some of the instructors are quite "big names".

I don't know about the content of the courses, though. Does the content seem suitable for what you want?
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Yes they do Annswabey, a couple are of less interest than the others but thats not to say I shouldn't still learn about the subjects.

I looked at the tutor list and they do seem quite impressive. It may be worth enrolling on the first one just to get a feel for it.

They have 2 options, assessed and unassessed which seems quite a good idea

Many thanks

Debbs
            Last edited by Debbss; 22-06-12, 19:35.

Comment

What are you intending to do with the knowledge you gain...and the certificate? If this is just for your own amusement/education then fine - an expensive alternative to experience!

OC

Comment

Some of the records I seem to cope with really well OC, and to be honest I have had some amazing finds! But others just leave me totally stumped! Military, for example, if it doesnt come up on Ancestry then I don't have a clue. The workhouse one also looks very interesting.
                I love to learn, and as I am still at home, post-op, and don't foresee a return to work any time soon I just though I may make best use of my time.
                Do you think I can learn as much, if not more, by just keep plugging away and bugging you wonderful lot? I can ill afford to waste the money, and now that I am 'into' parish records I would far rather spend it on another set of those or some more certs to be honest.

Thanks for the input

Debbs

Comment

If cash is tight then I suggest you read the wiki here from page to page on the topics you find a bit difficult and read all the links too and ask questions on the forum if you get stuck. its a lot cheaper and friendlier than doing an online course . I have learned so much by just reading other peoples threads even tho they dont apply to my family at all.
                  Angelina

Comment

A free way of learning about Military records is to read the various Research Guides on the subject on the National Archives website.
                    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I agree with Ann about Research guides on TNA, especially as the course appears to b built around TNA guides, lol.

If money is tight then I wouldn't even consider this course. You can learn much on your own, by asking questions on here but also by using your local library and reading every book about family history that you can lay your hands on.

If, for example, you google "Workhouses" you will come up with enough hits to keep you reading solid for the next month. Our own wiki on here is an excellent source of information.

You cannot buy experience, in my opinion, you just have to keep building on your own knowledge (and other people's - that's what forums like this are for).

OC

Comment

What asuper set of answers!

Thank you

So now, I was wondering what to read now I have done the Hospital Records thread, I have new material!

Debbs

Comment

I think most of the experienced researchers will agree with me that their knowledge came slowly, on an "as needed" basis.

For instance, when I first started to research many years ago, I went to the County Archives (I lived near at the time, luckily) to look at Parish records. while I was waiting at the desk for a book to be brought up, I fiddled with the rolodex index (cor, how old does that make me, lol) and came across something called Feet of fines. I was intrigued, ordered the records and found a few names that might have been mine.

It went from there. the more I researched, the more I came across collections I hadn't heard of. Today we are spoiled in as much as we can see more or less instantly on line what records do exist, even if we cannot directly access them on line.

I still borrow FH books from my library. I would say without exception, every one of them teaches me something I do not know and gives me ideas for angles to research.

OC

Comment

I am lucky enough to bevery near where I have traced my Ancestors to, which both shocks and amazes me as its nowhere near where I thought I 'Came from'!

Once I am able I cant wait to go and look at the local Parish Registers etc, so far all of my research has been online, whichis great but there are big gaps.
                            I am excited and nervous about looking at the Parish Regs - what will I see, what will I find, how do I search etc, but I WILL do it, thats for sure.

ref the Wiki? I am still not sure what that is....off to bed now, so my project for stupid o'clock is finding and reading it!

But on the strength of these comments I will not be booking an online class just yet

Thanks for the feedback and honesty

Debbs

Comment

Debbs

Look at the top of this page and on the extreme LEFT, LEFT (sorry, I typed right originally, idiot me), click on the button which says "Reference Library". That's our wiki - sorry, I hadn't noticed the name has been changed, lol.

OC
                              Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 23-06-12, 10:04. Reason: Don't know my left from my right.

Comment

Originally posted by angelina View Post
                                the wiki here
                                Familysearch's genealogists are also writing in their wiki:

Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes not, but it is growing.

Familysearch is attempting to provide a stepwise instruction set to find documents yourself. For instance, each English county has its own section, with each type of record written up, and contact points, whether online or physical offices, for the records mentioned. They also attempt to break it out by time period, so the if-then-else structure is intimidating. It's a huge undertaking.

Also, there is suppose to be a way of submitting questions to their genealogists, too, but I've never done that.
                                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 23-06-12, 06:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                  Look at the top of this page and on the extreme right, click on the button which says "Reference Library". That's our wiki - sorry, I hadn't noticed the name has been changed, lol.
                                  Name changed to Reference Library over two years ago!

Debbs and to anyone else who doesn't know ...
                                  When some of our older members (that is long standing not age wise!) refer to the wiki, they are referring to our reference and resource pages which were created by our development team and the members. They were originally housed in a separate section of the site in wiki format, the same that you find in wikipedia and similar sites. A couple of years ago, when we upgraded the software used for the main part of the forum, it was possible to bring most of these pages into the main area of the site and you will now find all the reference, research guides and resources in the Reference Library, accessed via the tab on the navigation bar at the top of the page. Once you have clicked on the reference library tab you will find an index in the left hand column which will take you through to the individual pages.

The wiki section of the forum, which OC referred to initially, is still there. It houses some of our Site Projects - and these can be accessed via the Site Projects tab on the navigation bar.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Lol!! It all makes sense now!!

Thank you for the explanation

Debbss

Comment

I have to agree with others that as far as I am concerned most of my knowledge has come gradually over the years. As I go deeper into the records of my own family I become more interested in the areas that I have a particular interest. So if you become interested in a village, you learn everything about that village from workhouses to landed gentry. The army has been a particular interest for me with so many army ancestors so I find the TNA leaflets very useful. As I have many Irish ancestors I have delved deeply into Irish History mainly by reading around the subjects in my counties of interest. Not all these things will be taught on a very general course. I have never personally felt the need for a general course in Family History, though I might consider a course in Medieval Studies to include old English/Latin/French to help me read some of these old manuscripts.

Janet
                                      Last edited by Janet; 23-06-12, 11:42.

Comment

It seems you've made your decision Debbs, but to add conviction I'll add that in my years in business I was sent on a great many courses. I left many feeling like it was a wonderful course, but weeks later reflected that I'd used or retained little if any of the info I'd been taught. Alternatively, many courses I took with the intent of expanding my knowledge frustrated me as I felt I could have taught the course. Now it would have to be a very special course that I would put my own money into. I use the internet, free sources such as local libraries, genealogy clubs, and the friendly folks on these forums.

Comment

Working...
                                        X