Help! Maidstone record of William Weeden 1819 (bapt 1820) to verify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Maidstone record of William Weeden 1819 (bapt 1820) to verify

Hi all! First post on this forum so apologies if I get anything wrong!

I'm hoping someone who lives near Maidstone, Kent might be prepared to check a record for me? I'm looking for my ggg grandfather William Weeden born 1819, bapt 2 Jan 1820 in Maidstone, parents George Weeden and Mary.

The microfiche would be "Extracted baptisms for the Parish of All Saints, Maidstone," 1813-1822, Maidstone, Kent, Film #1835447, All Saints Parish: Bishop's Transcripts.

It seems to be commonly accepted that this Mary is Mary Upton, who married George Weeden in 1802 in West Malling, but I would really like to verify this with the actual parish record of William's birth as I'm not all that satisfied with the dates and places involved. I find it surprising that George Weeden and Mary Upton would have married in 1802 but not started having the bulk of their children until about 10 yrs later. I had a similar thing elsewhere on my family tree and it turned out that that person had been married twice, both times to women with the same first name, each of whom were mothers to a different bunch of offspring with him.

So I want to be 100% certain William's mother really is Mary Upton and not another Mary, before tracing further back along her line.

Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere in Wales and can't drive, which makes ordering the microfilm to a Family Search Centre (and then getting to it!!) something of a problem.

I really really hope someone can help with this!

Many many thanks,

Connie

Hello Connie and welcome to FTF

Unfortunately, it's very unlikely that the mother's maiden name will be given on this record as normally it would be mentioned by the transcriber if it was.

However, it is certainly worth checking against the original, as a quick run through the actual register might show other (earlier) children and other marriages - sometimes just seeing the original in chronological order helps a lot.

OC

Comment

Or you could try for the marriages?

Comment

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ar%3A1800-1830~

These baptisms may help on Familysearch

Edna

Comment

Thanks everyone! I've ordered a CD-Rom from KFHS which I'm hoping will bring more certainty to this - it probably is Mary Upton, but it can be so easy for people to fall between the cracks, as I've found time and again with other branches.

The Upton/Weeden marriage was in 1802 then there are 2 or 3 births in a variety of nearbyish places which don't really follow any particular pattern of movement. Then suddenly there are a whole host of children all in Maidstone really close together beginning 1812. I'm thinking it's POSSIBLE there are either 2 George & Mary Weedens procreating at this time (perhaps 10 yrs apart but overlapping) or George's first wife passed away and he remarried and had a load of children in Maidstone. OR it may be the same G&M and they just settled in Maidstone at last and got more busy with child-making.

I've had some luck previously though with viewing original parish records, which have given all sorts of info not mentioned by the transcriber (in some cases including not only the mother and father's names but also the mother's father's full name, occupation and place of origin - so I'm thinking it's got to be worth a try.

Hopefully I'll be able to take a look at the CD-Rom on Monday so I'll let you know if anything useful comes up!

Thanks again to everyone!!!

Connie

Comment

Working...
          X