Leicester deaths, possible NBI lookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leicester deaths, possible NBI lookup

Following on from my previous thread a few days ago, I am now trying to ascertain which of the 7 William Browns who died in Leicester between 1837 and 1843 is mine, if any. The details I have are: William Brown born 1791, Leicester, married Catherine Woolley 1817. His Profession is Coal Merchant and he lived on Public Wharf. Their last child was born in Dec 1835. I can't find William on the 1841, but Catherine is there with the family, her profession is Coal Merchant. William is listed in an 1841 Directory, but by 1843 it is "Widow Brown" who is the Merchant.

I have e-mailed the Leicester Register Office, but they say they are unable to help me as all they do is send out the certificates according to the details sent.

Would the NBI hold more details - i.e. age, which might help me narrow it down, or is there some other way I could try - 7 certificates is a bit more than I want to get!

Thanks
    Last edited by ozgirl; 20-06-12, 12:50.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Just found this in the 19th Century British Library newspapers

The Leicester Chronicle or Commercial and Agricultural Advertiser, Saturday September 26th 1840

"Died

On Monday, after a short illness, much respected, aged 48, Mr. William Brown, coal merchant, of the Public Wharf"
    Last edited by Night Owl; 20-06-12, 12:43. Reason: info added
    Jackie

Comment

Wow Night Owl, that's great -I can now work out his exact date of death. Do you have a link to the website at all, or is it a pay per view? That narrows it down to 2 who died in Sep Quarter 1840!

Thanks so much
      Linda

Comment

Its the one's I access through the library. If you have access they're really interesting although you sometimes have to be a bit inventive with the search terms.

If you can't see the piece, PM me your email address and I'll send it.

Typical that there are 2 entries in Q/E Sept 1840. One is page 64 and the other is 72. If I was betting on it I'd go for the later entry - now you know the date of death do you think the register office would be more likely to check - they shouldn't use the GRO references anyway
        Jackie

Comment

I'll have a go through my library,but I think it only does the Times archive - will pm you, thanks.

That makes sense, going with the later page, as I worked out he died on 21 Sep. Might have another go with the registry office again,now I have that info.

Linda
          Linda

Comment

Hi Linda
            The other William Brown who died in the Sep qtr 1840 may be this one
            William Brown age 20 buried 25th Aug 1840 Leicester St Margaret.
            So I think your idea about going for the one on a later page makes sense.
            Moggie

Comment

Working...
            X