lookup/research Kilkenny Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lookup/research Kilkenny Ireland

Looking for 2 couples from Swiftsheath Kilkenny. Patrick Lannan c1770 married to Catherine Maher? c1775, son Patrick c1790 married Anastasia Griffen.
    Martin Farrell c1795 married Anastasia ?--possibly Downey or Swift. Am stuck with these two, all rellies in Australia will thank you 4EVA!!

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

martin farrell
    marriage
    swiftsheath kilkenny
    spouse - anastasia
    unfortunately it states 1620 - 1881.....so it doesn`t give the date of the marriage ...but there is only ONE Anastasia given
    Anastasia Breen is given as Spouse and a son also named Martin Farrell.........
    So - this may not be your Martin Farrell, but - it might be ???
    I would make a note of the surname BREEN just in case it pops up in later research ....maybe another member could confirm this record to make sure I haven`t done anything wrong ??
    regards
    allan
    Last edited by garstonite; 20-06-12, 11:23.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

That result isn't coming up at all for me, Allan. Can you post a link to it?

Comment

thanks Garstonite, The reason I thought it may be Downey/Swift is that I have been told Swiftsheath is only a small place and there were only about 10 families there...so BREEN is a definate possibility. Martin& Anastasia did have a son Martin,and their daughter Bridget married Patrick Lannan and came to Aus all of which I have supporting documents and articles.Martin the elder Farrell lived to about 110 years old and was well renowned as a bonesetter. As with many families there are lines of fathers & sons with same forename, so your 1620 date may be correct altho before my Martin. I don't seem to be able to get back any further than these in this family, Martin & Anastasia are my gg gparents.

Comment

Originally posted by chuz View Post
          thanks Garstonite, The reason I thought it may be Downey/Swift is that I have been told Swiftsheath is only a small place and there were only about 10 families there...so BREEN is a definate possibility. Martin& Anastasia did have a son Martin,and their daughter Bridget married Patrick Lannan and came to Aus all of which I have supporting documents and articles.Martin the elder Farrell lived to about 110 years old and was well renowned as a bonesetter. As with many families there are lines of fathers & sons with same forename, so your 1620 date may be correct altho before my Martin. I don't seem to be able to get back any further than these in this family, Martin & Anastasia are my gg gparents.
          Even with UK records it is difficult to get back in 1700s/1600s because a lot of those records are not yet on line - you have to do physical searches at record depositories.

For Irish records double that as there are few records to be had anyway!

Margaret

Comment

anastasia is a very unusual name for a non russian country lol. it is a greek name, and is quite common in russian speaking countries. in early christian times it was used.....i can't see it being used in ireland unless either it is somewhere in the bible, or you have some distant links with the orthodox religion/countries.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              anastasia is a very unusual name for a non russian country lol. it is a greek name, and is quite common in russian speaking countries. in early christian times it was used.....i can't see it being used in ireland unless either it is somewhere in the bible, or you have some distant links with the orthodox religion/countries.
              Anastasia is a very popular name in Ireland!! My OH and I have many Anastasia from Ireland!!

Janet

Comment

Thanks Margaret. Makes it difficult researching from Australia!! Uk links are sooo much easier to find. Shelley

Comment

Have you tried looking at the Griffiths Valuation for the family name in the area of your research? Griffiths Valuation is from the 1840's to 1860's depending on when it was done in the area you are interested in. Tithe Aplotments are always worth looking at as these start in the 1820's but not everybody is listed in the TA in the same way they are listed in Griffiths.The index to Griffiths Valuation is not as good as the Full Griffiths Valuation and you should be able to access both TA and the full Griffiths Valuation in Australia. Knowing the townland is a great help, so it is worth looking at Genuki Kilkenny to see when the records started for Swiftsheath. I presume you know exactly where Swiftsheath is? If not have you googled to find out whicjh parish it is in? Kilkenny County can border Waterford to the South and Tipperary to the West. Maher is a very popular name in Thurles Tipperary and also I think Carrick on Suir both of which are very close to the Kilkenny County border. Do you know if your ancestors were Catholic or Protestant? If Catholic you are very near the range of Catholic registers, most of which did not start until the 1800's, but a few counties started records earlier, 1798 for Tipperary and about the 1780 for Kilkenny but Genuki Kilkenny will help you with that. If protestant, in theory the records go back to to the 1600's but many protestant records were destroyed in the 1922 Forecourts fire in Dublin which is where the Protesatnt records were kept at the National Archives Dublin.

You can look on line at TNA Dublin to see what records they hold for Kilkenny County if you ancestors were protestant. If Catholic then you can look at National Library Dublin to see what they hold.

I also have a book on Kilkenny which I have found very useful for general knowledge of the area. It is called:

Kilkenny History and Society. Editors Willliam Nolan & Kevin Whelan. ISBN 0-906602-13-0. It is an expensive book but you should be able to order it up at a library in Australia? Names mentioned are M Breen & J Maher. I also have a similar book for Tipperary.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 23-06-12, 11:27.

Comment

thanks heaps for that Janet. They are RC and yes I google earthed it so have a good idea of the area. Anastasia Breen came from Carlow so it would not be too far a stretch for that marriage to be true. Will check out the other links as soon as I can..... and follow up on all. That may also open the Lannan line too!

Comment

Try exploring resources here, too http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...,396971.0.html
                      Joy

Comment

One other thought is that Maher/Meagher and other variants on the same name was actually a name and Sept from Tipperary with many going to Kilkenny, so you may need to look closely at Tipperary Griffiths and Tithe Aplotment as well as Kilkenny.

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 24-06-12, 11:32.

Comment

Originally posted by chuz View Post
                          Looking for 2 couples from Swiftsheath Kilkenny. Patrick Lannan c1770 married to Catherine Maher? c1775, son Patrick c1790 married Anastasia Griffen.
                          Martin Farrell c1795 married Anastasia ?--possibly Downey or Swift. Am stuck with these two, all rellies in Australia will thank you 4EVA!!
                          Patrick Lannan-Catherine Maher, Son was not Patrick ,son was Martin c1770 who was married to Anastasia Griffen.they had a Son Patrick c1823 married to Bridget Farrell. The latter were my G G GrAND Parents. Bridgets Mother was Anastasia Breen married to Martin Farrell.
                          Downey came into my Family on the Butler side, which also includes, the MAHERS AS WELL. hard to proove which line?, the 1620- 1881 detail is period of 260 years ?,just makes no sense at all?

Terrence Gooch Butler/Warr

Comment

Hi Terry, sorry typo from me....shelley clark(chuz is my nickname) in that fairly old post! Still looking for Pat snr and Catherine's details. But on the bright side Martin had a brother Michael who went to USA,

Comment

Working...
                            X