Irish research around Dundalk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish research around Dundalk

Hi, Apologies in advance if this has been asked before but would anyone know if I can research online about my Grandmother Mary Bridget Woods said to have been born at Dundalk 1890 to James Woods a fisherman/mariner.

Looking on Ancestry only gives me the same name born 1894 - which is probably too late. Novice

Hi.. not sure what you want to know...have you looked on the Irish census 1901 and 1911, it's free just google it

Found a couple that could be contenders one on 1901 and one on 1911 right age right place right father's name his occupation is given as a pilot. I take that to mean on a boat!

Linda
    Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 19-06-12, 12:01.

Comment

There's an index to Irish civil registration births on https://www.familysearch.org

There are also some Irish baptisms here:

Search Irish Family History records online: parish registers; church records; Roman Catholic and Protestant. Irish Family History Foundation online research service for the 32 county genealogy centres throughout Ireland. Largest online Irish Genealogy records database for 32 counties. Ireland ancestry, baptismal, birth, marriage, death, census, gravestone, Griffith Valuations, Tithes, ships passenger lists records. Family History research provided by centres.

Comment

Originally posted by Noviceathis View Post
        Hi, Apologies in advance if this has been asked before but would anyone know if I can research online about my Grandmother Mary Bridget Woods said to have been born at Dundalk 1890 to James Woods a fisherman/mariner.

Looking on Ancestry only gives me the same name born 1894 - which is probably too late. Novice
        Welcome to FTF. Irish research is notoriously difficult because of the lack of records compared to the Uk where we have censuses going back to 1841 which help tremendously. But there are sites as mentioned above that can give you quite a bit of information and it's more than likely you will find your grandmother on the 1901 and 1911 census which is a great start.

Have a look also on the Reference section on this site for a list of sources for records. Look at the top of the page for the tab Reference Library.

Margaret

Comment

Hello Everyone,

I have tried several time to post a Thank You for your input and trouble on my behalf. I have obviously not been pressing the right button but hopefully this on will show on the page.

I have looked at the 1901/1911 census and believe that James Woods the Pilot and family could be my ancestors. They are certainly the strongest possibility although Mary is not of quite the right age which on census is not unusual.

I will get onto the Reference section.

Thank you again. Novice
          Last edited by Noviceathis; 23-06-12, 10:20. Reason: incomlete

Comment

Try exploring here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...,391617.0.html to see if there is a resource to help your search.
            Joy

Comment

Hello Joy,

Thank you for posting the Rootschat details, i will be having a look there. Novice

Comment

Working...
              X