Searching for a George Daniel Dauncey on the 1901 and 1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for a George Daniel Dauncey on the 1901 and 1911 census

Hi. I am having trouble finding my grandfather on the 1901 and 1911 census. George Daniel Dauncey was born on 18th April 1891 in Birmingham. (would he be included on the 1891 census?) His father was Alfred Dauncey b1858 in Eastington, Glos and his mother was Clara Fanny Jackson b1865 in Birmingham. His mother died in 1895 during child birth. Incidentally, I cannot find Alfred Dauncey on the 1891 or 1901 census either.

From memory I am sure my dad told me that George served in the military as a drummer boy in Africa and came back home on a ship only for it to be diverted to France for him to take part in WW1.

Any help on tracking George down would be much appreciated.

The census in 1891 was taken the 5th April so he wont be on there will see if I can find him in 1901 or 1911

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
      The census in 1891 was taken the 5th April so he wont be on there will see if I can find him in 1901 or 1911
      Thank you!

Comment

The thing is where were his parents on 5th April 1891 - can't find them either lol.

Comment

There is a medal; card for a George D Dauncey,South Staffordshire Reg.
          Reg no. 8339
          ???
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

did you find Alfred in 1911 ? as it looks like he may have remarried ? a private gardener born 1859 Berkely Gloucester married to a Annie Sophia born abt 1859 Brighton living in Bromley married 24 years ???

Comment

1891 mistranscribed as Daincey Alfred born abt 1857 Eastington Gloucestershire a Coffin Maker
              wife Clara 1867 Birmingham
              4 Fordrough street Birmingham

Comment

Only a possible -
                There is a death of an Alfred Dauncey - bc 1858, died Aug 1938, Bromley, Kent
                then a matching probate for death in 19 August 1938, widow - Ethel Maude
                herky
                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

1891 mistranscribed as Daincey Alfred born abt 1857 Eastington Gloucestershire a Coffin Maker
                  Oh well done Val, I tried lots of variations.
                  herky

Comment

Can't find this on ancestry. But this is them, remember my uncle telling me he was an undertaker or coffin maker. Don't think Alfred remarried but will have a look at this record on the 1911 census.

Comment

did you find Alfred in 1911 ? as it looks like he may have remarried ? a private gardener born 1859 Berkely Gloucester married to a Annie Sophia born abt 1859 Brighton living in Bromley married 24 years ???
                      matching 1901 census for Alfred and Annie

Annie is age 41, not 4!
                      Elaine

Comment

Thank you Val, now found them on Ancestry. Looked at image, all I see is Dauncey when I read it, how it's mistranscribed is a mystery lol

Comment

This is not my Alfred have found this couple on the 1891 census when Alfred was with Clara in Birmingham. Good to check though.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                            Only a possible -
                            There is a death of an Alfred Dauncey - bc 1858, died Aug 1938, Bromley, Kent
                            then a matching probate for death in 19 August 1938, widow - Ethel Maude
                            What about this one??
                            herky

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                              What about this one??
                              Sorry I have a death for Alfred Dauncey in Birmingham in 1908 and I'm pretty sure this is the right Alfred. So George would have been 17 when his father died.

Comment

Thanks, Oh well, back to the drawing board.
                                herky

Comment

Working...
                                X