FTM 2012 - assertion failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2012 - assertion failed

Oh, dont you sometimes wish you didnt bother.

Updated to 2012 just now but I keep getting about 4 boxes coming up one after another saying "Assertion failed" and giving some gobbledegook and then try again - to debug. It also says JIT must be enabled? So I keep trying again but no luck. I am also getting a box saying a patch is available for FTM2012 but when I click on it nothing happens or the assertion failed boxes appear again.

Im not sure if its the 2012 causing this or the fact MS just downloaded a lot of updates.
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 18-06-12, 14:05.

Have googled your error messages and cannot find any examples of where they might appear on a FTM installation.
    Try uninstalling FTM2012 (via the Control Panel), then reboot, then reinstall.
    Re the patch, you probably will find there is an update for your version of the program - there was one issued only a few weeks ago - but you can install that from within the program via the HELP menu.
    Elaine

Comment

Odd thing is Elaine, 2012 is not showing on installed programs though the shortcut is there and I can access the program using that. When I go to control panel, nowhere to be seen.

Ive tried doing system restore a couple of times now. First time it didnt work. This second time it seems to have removed the programs (not on short cut anymore) even though its saying the restore was unsuccessful. System Restore has never been right on this VISTA puter.

So far the assertion messages havent come up (fingers crossed). Not sure where to go from here. Whether to try reinstalling the FTM or whether it was the mass of MS updates that caused the problem.

Another odd thing is that a norton security scan icon is on my worktop with a sort of MS shield. Ive never had Norton, so assume this is also something to do with the MS updates :( Ive removed the program from the control panel thing.

Thanks for your help though.
      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 18-06-12, 17:03.

Comment

Oh joy, Ive put the 2012 on this laptop instead and it went like a dream, no probs. I reckon VISTA may be the prob as I have Windows 7 on this one.

Comment

Need some advise....just transferred over from an old (free version) of PDF from Church of LDS to FTM 2012. So loaded the new program then opened my GEDCOM file which seemed to be okay. However I've now noticed that when I scroll through a family line it has gone wonkie. Example: My tree opens with my daughter as the main name and when I scroll through her paternal line back to the first ancestory b1740 it now shows his children as the wrong ones and then his name is followed my another name which happens to be my nephew. Hope this makes sense what can I do to correct this as I think several lines are doing the same thing.

Comment

Ziperrump I'd start a new thead if I was you as this may get overlooked

Comment

thanks Val...I'll do that

Comment

Working...
              X