Twins Registered Twice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twins Registered Twice

Hi All, looking for some help here for my great-grandfather and his twin they both appear to be registered twice.

The first entries were June 1st 1900 and the second are January 19th 1902.

All other details are the same except for the dates, my grandmother told me her father's birthday was June 1st.

Not quite sure what you mean when you say registered twice. Do you mean on the BMD index or do you have two different sets of birth certificates?
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Not quite sure what you mean when you say registered twice. Do you mean on the BMD index or do you have two different sets of birth certificates?
      Hi Elaine, I was meaning on the BMD Index.

I have been trying for months to find this out and have just found out there were two sets of twins, one set born in 1900 and died aged 5 months and the other set (my great-grandfather) born in 1902. They were named the same and this is where the confusion came from.

As a side note there has been no other twins in the family since!

Comment

Wow that it fascinating - Does this mean your great grandfather celebrated the wrong birthday and he was 2 years younger than he thought?? A great mystery to solve, but how sad!
        Rachel

Comment

I wondered the same as Rachel. What year of birth did it give on your great grandfathers death record?
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Do you have the death certificates for the first set of twins?
            Are you 100% sure these are not the same set of twins registered twice, maybe because of a late marriage of parents??

Is this in Scotland?
            Elaine

Comment

Ha! My friend's late granny had to send away for a birth cert in order to claim her pension. She gave all the details and back came the certificate, making her four years OLDER than she thought she was. She was very annoyed and kept insisting she wasn't that old - family just said yeah yeah.

My friend asked me to look at the family and the very FIRST thing I discovered was that her granny had had a sister, born and died, same name, four years before granny was born! She was right all along and the GRO had sent the wrong cert. Granny got four years extra pension, lol and her headstone is wrong - she wasn't 98 when she died, she was only 94!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                Do you have the death certificates for the first set of twins?
                Are you 100% sure these are not the same set of twins registered twice, maybe because of a late marriage of parents??

Is this in Scotland?
                Yes I found the death certificate for the first set of twins, the first died in April 1900 and the second died in May 1900.

Yes in Scotland.

Originally posted by ukfamilyhistory View Post
                Wow that it fascinating - Does this mean your great grandfather celebrated the wrong birthday and he was 2 years younger than he thought?? A great mystery to solve, but how sad!
                Rachel
                Rachel, I got the dates mixed up in my original post it was June 1st 1902 and January 19th 1900, so he celebrated the correct birthday.

Comment

Working...
                X