Was he a bigamist ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was he a bigamist ?

Have mentioned this before but am very confused by this and still not found out much?

Have a James CARD born abt 1846 Sandown Essex married a Letitia Philpot in 1869 West Ham Essex

He is with his wife and two children in 1871 (Ellen and William J) a labourer in a paper Mill

he does not appear with his wife and children after that and Letitia dies in 1907 in Essex

1881 a married boarder a Soap Cutter

1891 a married boarder a Soap Maker

1893 marries a Susan PINGRAM nee KEEN says he is a Widower Soap Maker ,
    Does not appear with her on any census and in 1901 she says she is a Widow

1901 a married Head a Soap Maker with Son from first marriage William

1911 a Widow boader a General Labourer at a Soap Manufacturer

Dies in 1913 in Camberwell

I also cannot find Letitia in any Census except in 1871 says brn abt 1848 Leytonstone Essex

I'm thinking Bigamist??

At first reading it does look like bigamy. Can't help finding Letitia yet but noticed you have Sandown, Essex as James' birth place. Think this was probably Sandon, which is between Danbury and Chelmsford, I've spotted a family in the 1881 census headed by Henry Card born Sandon - probably a relative.
    I see young William was boarding with his father in 1881 whilst Ellen was boarding with a family called Green in Bow - but you probably already knew that
    Last edited by JudithM; 16-06-12, 20:10.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Leticha CARD aged 51 Widow laundress born Leytonstone was living alone at 2 Greenhill Grove East Ham in 1901 RG13 piece 1600 folio 112 page 16
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thanks for that Judith I hadn't found her anywhere ? and will change the place name to Sandon

Comment

At first glance it looks as though he married, then decided he preferred to live alone, then got himself mixed up with a woman who insisted on marriage (not knowing he was already married), then he does a bunk again?
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Mind you, why NOT commit bigamy? I was traipsing through the Old Bailey online stuff, 1859, a 21 year old woman pleaded guilty to bigamy and was sentenced to one month in prison.

OC

Comment

I suppose so OC but it looks like he didnt even live with them for long ? so why bother ? his second wife is using his name but says widow in 1901 in 1911 she is using a false surname and on her death she is using the same false surname so reckon she found out and was hiding from him?
              Thanks Chrissie I am amazed at how many bigamists I seem to have ?
              Last edited by Guest; 17-06-12, 11:55.

Comment

Working...
              X