Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surname mystery

Hi,

This is a long shot and I'm not sure this can ever be really solved but here goes ;D

I traced my ancestors marriage entry:
    William Tolly & Esther Masus
    3rd April 1797 Ribbesford, Worcestershire, England

The problem is Esther's surname must has been mis-spelt or maybe spelt with the local accent because Masus isn't a surname that occurs in the Worcestershire area or anyother areas that I can find.

I've posted on other forums and surnames like Massey and Mason have been suggested but I can't find any suitable Bapt' for Esther born around 1777-1783 in Martley, Worcestershire (according to the census returns).

I've contacted the Worcestershire Archive office who confirmed that the original transcript does state Masus and they suggested the surname Morris

Any ideas ????

Kind regards
    Adrian
    Last edited by apowell; 16-06-12, 10:13.

Do you have a copy of the original marriage entry in the parish records. If so perhaps you could put it up for us to have a look at.

Comment

Im guessing you got the info from familysearch. They will have the original film for hire or you could contact the records office in the area of the marriage and request a look up - they dont usually charge much.

Ancestry may have some info, Id normally check but my sub ran out today and I have yet to put my new program with sub on.
      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 16-06-12, 12:19.

Comment

Masters?

OC

Comment

There is someone on GR researching the name of Masus and it appears to be from Finland. He doesn't have Esther on there though.

Lesley

Comment

There are 10 familytrees for Masus on www.geneanet.org
            5 are in France - 1 in 1760`s is in Calais ..........it is only over the English Channel , so maybe her name was Masus ???
            just a thought
            allan
            added...the man who owns this tree has info here

View the genealogy "Alain GAUTIER" made by Alain GAUTIER (gautieralain).

good luck....do you think maybe Esther was her Anglicised name , and may have been originally French ?...something like Esmerelda perhaps
            Last edited by garstonite; 17-06-12, 22:37.
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks for all your interest in helping.

I don't have a copy of the original marriage entry and that's a good point but I would have to pay monies to obtain this due to the fact I live in Finland and I'm unable to visit. The Finnish Masus connection would be very bizzare considering I've moved over here and married a Finn but it's very doubtful given no other Masus sounding surnames are around that area with any foreign connections (census returns).

I think it's most likely that the surname was mis-spelt and also the first name Esther mat not have been the original. I think I need to get a copy of the marriage entry and check the names of witnesses for any clues.

It's not impossible that she was from France and that would be very interesting but who knows.

Many thanks
              Adrian

Comment

I've contacted the Worcestershire Archive office who confirmed that the original transcript does state Masus and they suggested the surname Morris
                Rather than Morris, perhaps Marris, which seems to be a surname in its own right. I agree you need to see the actual entry in the register, in order to see the surname for yourself. Don't hold your breath expecting names of witnesses: many I've seen from that era don't mention witnesses, although others do.

scuda
                Last edited by scuda; 18-06-12, 11:09.
                Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

esther is esther in french and english lol. don't know why you'd think it was any difference. the english sometimes spell it hester. but in looking at french records i only have seen it as esther. no reason to think her name wasn't esther either.

Comment

Adrian it is often possible to view the parish records at a church of Latter day saints centre. Obviously i do not know whether they have centres in Finland or whether you live near one.
                    You could contact the nearest centre and see if they can help.

Originally posted by apowell View Post
                    Hi,

Many thanks for all your interest in helping.

I don't have a copy of the original marriage entry and that's a good point but I would have to pay monies to obtain this due to the fact I live in Finland and I'm unable to visit. The Finnish Masus connection would be very bizzare considering I've moved over here and married a Finn but it's very doubtful given no other Masus sounding surnames are around that area with any foreign connections (census returns).

I think it's most likely that the surname was mis-spelt and also the first name Esther mat not have been the original. I think I need to get a copy of the marriage entry and check the names of witnesses for any clues.

It's not impossible that she was from France and that would be very interesting but who knows.

Many thanks
                    Adrian

Comment

There is a list of worldwide LDS family history centres on their website.

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X