X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Morgan and Turpin

I cannot trace the marriage records for the following
    Charlton Elliot MORGAN and Florance Ann TURPIN

They are shown as married on 1901 Census with children aged between 5 and 1.
    On 1911 Census they are shown as having been married for 16 years.
    I have traced the birth records for Two of the children and this is where I got mothers maiden name.

I have tried everything I can think of to trace the marriage records but to no avail. Can anybody help
    Thanks

Maybe she was a widow when she married so would have a different name? This doesn't always show up on the birth certificates of children.
    Maybe they were married in Scotland?
    Maybe they were making it up!!

Anne

Comment

How old was Charlton? There is a marriage for Charlton Elliot Morgan but it is in 1871.

OC

Comment

Thanks for thoughts.
        Cannot find a Charlton Morgan marrying any Florence.
        Have tried Scotland.
        Certainly could have made it up-but if so they continued the pretence right through to their probate entries!!

Comment

This marriage was to an Elizabeth and they were still on the 1901 census.

Comment

Amazing, two men with the same unusual name - father and son?

Doesn't look as if they married then. Not unheard of!

OC

Comment

No-but I think the are the same family-probably cousins. Have not looked into it properly

Comment

As I don't know what area we are talking about, this might be right off the wall, but there is a Florence Annie Turpin marrying in 1898 and that might explain why she never married Charlton.

OC

Comment

Thanks for that.
                  I have looked it up and in 1901 Wales census she is still with James Crellin who she married in Neath.
                  Worth a try though.

Comment

For guidance OC - Charlton born 1860 Bishop Aukland, Durham, and Florence 1865 Liverpool .
                    1901 living Lancashire - 1911 living in Devon.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      Amazing, two men with the same unusual name - father and son
                      OC
                      There are several Charlton Elliot Morgans showing in census, mainy north countrymen.
                      Holcan's seems to have been born at Bishop Aukland.

Can't find a potential marriage for him - I see he was a marine engineer. Perhaps he travelled and the marriage was not Eng/Wales?

Jay
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 16-06-12, 10:43.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Sorry not had any luck finding a marriage between Charlton and Florence or a marriage between a Turpin and a Florence Ann.

But, if Turpin is her maiden name and James and Caroline are her parents the whole family seem to disappear in 1891 (unless I have totally missed it and lost the plot). So maybe she did marry someone else the family disapproved and she reverted back to her maiden name but not able to remarry?

Comment

There is a public tree on Ancestry for a Florence A Turpin b Liverpool c 1866. No information about Florence or her siblings post 1871, when the family were recorded in Cheshire.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
                            Sorry not had any luck finding a marriage between Charlton and Florence or a marriage between a Turpin and a Florence Ann.

But, if Turpin is her maiden name and James and Caroline are her parents the whole family seem to disappear in 1891 (unless I have totally missed it and lost the plot). So maybe she did marry someone else the family disapproved and she reverted back to her maiden name but not able to remarry?
                            Frazzled, I don't think Holcan has claimed that Florence IS the daughter of a James & Caroline. (They are the parents of the Florence in the public tree, but we don't know that this is Holcan's Florence)

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Hi Frazzled,
                              No you have not lost the plot. I cannot find any of them in 1891 either.

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post

Comment

Hi everyone,
                                Have been searching myself and by coincidence have discovered that Florance Ann Turpin IS the daughter of James and Caroline Mary (nee Hill).
                                Cannot find them either in 1891!!!

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                Frazzled, I don't think Holcan has claimed that Florence IS the daughter of a James & Caroline. (They are the parents of the Florence in the public tree, but we don't know that this is Holcan's Florence)

Jay

Comment

Thanks for this,
                                  I have written to the tree owner to see whether they have any additional info. not on published tree.

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                  There is a public tree on Ancestry for a Florence A Turpin b Liverpool c 1866. No information about Florence or her siblings post 1871, when the family were recorded in Cheshire.

Jay

Comment

>>Frazzled, I don't think Holcan has claimed that Florence IS the daughter of a James & Caroline. (They are the parents of the Florence in the public tree, but we don't know that this is Holcan's Florence)

>>Jay

Sorry for confusion Jay that is why I put IF, have learnt not to assume anything!
                                    Last edited by Frazzled; 16-06-12, 12:52.

Comment

I think this might be Florence's parents and family in 1901 in Antrim

If it is them, perhaps the marriage took place in Ireland
                                      Jackie

Comment

Family Search has a Belfast marriage in 1894 for Charlton Elliot Morgan. Can't work out how to get the bride's details up but there is another entry for Florence Ann Turpin
                                        Jackie

Comment

Working...
                                        X