Tidying up the loose ends.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tidying up the loose ends.

I'm trying to find the maiden names and marriage dates of two relatives. 1. Elizabeth (possibly Smith) married to William Litherland b 1717 approx 1738/9/possibly at Appleby Magna. 2. Sarah? married ? to Thomas Litherland b May 1786 possibly at Shuttington Warwickshire, their first child Joseph was born 1810. I've had no luck looking on familysearch or ancestry sites. Could you help please.

If you google Appleby Magna, there is loads coming up including a PDF you can download with marriages, baptisms and Bishops Transcripts also there are people looking for Litherlands in Appleby so you might find quite a lot that will help you
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by novabird41 View Post
      2. Sarah? married ? to Thomas Litherland b May 1786 possibly at Shuttington Warwickshire, their first child Joseph was born 1810.
      I've found all the children born to Thomas and Sarah Litherland on Familysearch (1791 at Orton on the Hill, Leics. [probably a mistranscription of Houghton], 1793-1805 in Appleby Magna, Leics, 1808-1815 in Shuttington, Warks. and 1817-1829 in Packington, Leics), and one in Church Gresley, Derbyshire in 1811. The parents clearly can't be the same couple in all cases, because a woman who married before 1791 would have been too old to have children by 1829.

There's a Thomas Litherland marrying Sarah Mawby at Appleby Magna on 12/1/1791; I assume they're the parents of the children born in A Magna from 1791 to 1805.

That can't be your Thomas b. 1786, because he would have been too young to be the husband.

There doesn't appear to be a marriage in the Shuttington area a Thomas and Sarah Litherland, according to the Warks records on Ancestry.

Do you have any particular reason to believe that your Thomas lived in Shuttington?
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 15-06-12, 22:03.

Comment

There are some Church Gresley transcriptions online, but there are no useful details in Martha's entry (Thomas's occupation might have been useful).

Comment

This marriage is the right sort of date to be your Thomas:

They're likely to be the parents of Martha bp 1811 in Church Gresley, but maybe not the others.
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 15-06-12, 22:00.

Comment

I've found Thomas Litherland, blacksmith, and wife Sarah in Packington in 1841 with various children and presumably grandchildren - is this your couple?

According to the 1851 census, that Thomas was born in Packington c 1790, though, so I'm guessing he isn't yours.
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 15-06-12, 22:08.

Comment

Loose ends

Thank you Mary. It would seem I have three Sarah and Thomas partnerships . Thomas and Sarah Mawby m Dec 1791 they have children from 1791-1805, he is the son of William and Mary Oliver. The next Thomas b 1789 and Sarah ? I don't know her maiden name or the marriage date, from Packington they have three children 1817-1827 so these could be the Blacksmith and his wife Sarah ? this Thomas is the son of Edward and Mary Adams, they are all cousins. The Thomas I 'm looking at is my gt gt gt uncle he could well be the Church Gresley couple although Martha isn't known. having said that I wouldn't have looked in Derbyshire. Thank you. Thanks too to Lin, I'm slowly going through the Appleby magna lists but the family are spreading out in the late 1800's, I may find something though.

Comment

Working...
              X