Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought FTM - help!

Hi

I have just imported my trees from Ancestry but it doesnt have the actual census images and i know that if i re-upload to Ancestry at a later date it wont update it the other way either. I have never used a program as my main tree, especially now that Ancestry have the list of people with hints. If i relink all the census images again will they appear in my FTM tree as an image? Also is there any way to view a list of people with hints, or am i going to have to bite the bullet and pay out for the 2012 upgrade with the automatic syncing and do it on Ancestry and let it update?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

I think the problem is that your census images on Ancestry are not the actual image of the census page but are LINKS to the relevant page on the Ancestry website.
    A LINK in Ancestry is not the same as an attached IMAGE in FTM.
    If you are working on FTM then you should be able to see the hints on Ancestry - they appear as little green leaves next to the person's name in the pedigree chart view, which is usually centre top of page (providing you have all 4 panes open).
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. I have the tree open, but obviously it only shows direct ancestors not siblings etc and sometimes its quite interesting seeing what the others are up to
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Yes, it's a totally different layout to Ancestry. Whereas you can see more of a chart on Ancestry, FTM offers you an easier display, in my opinion, for adding/editing information.
        Elaine

Comment

Just checking the FTM/Ancestry help pages and found this:
          Sources in downloaded Ancestry Family Trees now link back to sources online and have the ability to download the image directly from the source into Family Tree Maker.
          So it would appear that if you added the census as a source, rather than attaching the census link to a person in your tree, then the census source should appear on your downloaded tree and clicking on it should take you to the actual image (on the Ancestry website) - at least I think that is what it means!!
          This is not the same as attaching the actual image of the census page to someone in your tree.
          Elaine

Comment

Ive just had a go adding a census and the image does actually appear on the Media section of the person, so does basically do the same thing as Ancestry. I think im just going to go through the entire list of people and go through their hints. Its going to take a little while to get used to it i think but so far im relatively happy with it
            Robyne

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
              Ive just had a go adding a census and the image does actually appear on the Media section of the person, ...
              That's good - it's not something I actually use so wasn't sure.
              Elaine

Comment

Working...
              X