Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How easy to falsify a birth registration in 1929?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How easy to falsify a birth registration in 1929?

Hi

I have a chap who had a mother called Sarah and a 17yo sister called Sarah. I have a suspicion that Sarah jnr was actually his mother, but his birth registration shows him to be the son of Sarah snr and her husband (also Sarah jnr's father).

Would whoever registered the birth have had to produce any paperwork to "prove" they were the mother, or would they have just turned up and said they were?

Thanks
    STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Does it say where the birth took place? If it was at home, then I would think it was quite easy to falsify. More difficult if it was in a hospital, but I think that would have been the exception rather than the rule in those days.

Comment

Don't actually have the birth certificate, but it struck me that if there was paperwork saying that Sarah Smith had a baby on such-and-such-a-date in 1929, it would be rather easy for Sarah's mum - also called Sarah Smith - to turn up and register the child as hers.

STG

Edited to say : Sarah snr would have been 41/42, so not beyond the realms of possibility. Her previous child was b. 1924.
      Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 14-06-12, 18:54.

Comment

My 2 x GGF was born in 1845 and his aunt and uncle falsely registered him as their child after his real mother, single, died in childbirth. His baptism tells the truth.

It has only been relatively recently (post WW2) that records are kept of children being born, to be matched with children being registered.

OC

Comment

It occurs to me that even if it was Sarah jnr who registered the birth, all she would have to do is to give her mother's maiden name as her own and her father's details as the baby's father and it would have been job done.

STG

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
            his birth registration shows him to be the son of Sarah snr and her husband (also Sarah jnr's father).
            How do you know that if you don't have the cert?

Comment

Just because both mother and daughter were of childbearing age doesn't imply there was a coverup, is it just a hunch or do you have some other evidence to supsect that?

Comment

> How do you know that if you don't have the cert?

That's what it says on the BMD index.

It shows
                Sarah Smith jnr b. 1912, mmn Whatever
                and
                John Smith, b. 1929, mmn Whatever

plus another four children inbetween Sarah and John.

STG

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                  Just because both mother and daughter were of childbearing age doesn't imply there was a coverup, is it just a hunch or do you have some other evidence to supsect that?

It was something that the man's son said that led me to try to put two and two together. Will have to see if I can get more out of him.

Comment

I think these situations were more common than we think in days when home births were the norm. On the other hand if Sarah senior was still of child bearing age and the child really was hers I bet she would be very annoyed at people assuming whose child it was.

I did actually know someone, years ago, who had a child when she was 46 and personally heard the annoyance in her voice when people assumed it was her grandchild!

Anne

Comment

My mum was also born when my nan was in her 40's, her niece is actually only a year younger than her and my eldest aunt is 21 years older than my mum
                      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

My mum was nearly 43 when I was born and this is by no means unusual - I've just spent time looking through my tree instead of cooking dinner - ages when last known child born for my
                        grandmothers: 37, 38
                        gt grandmothers: 41, 44, 36, 41
                        gt gt grandmothers: 41, 39,42,42,39,40,40,42
                        3xgt grandmothers:37,34,44,31,39,43,40,42,33,45,36,41,4 4,45,42,41

The three relatively young ages of 31, 33, and 34 are accounted for by early death
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

My 2 x GGM did not marry until she was 39 and then produced a child a year until she was 45.

My own daughter had her first child at 41, second (and last!) at 43.

OC

Comment

My grandmother married at 24 and for the first 15 years of her marriage had only four children (although there may have been miscarriages that I don't know about). After age 40, she had four more children pretty quickly, the last when she was 46.
                            Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenoco View Post
                              My grandmother married at 24 and for the first 15 years of her marriage had only four children (although there may have been miscarriages that I don't know about). After age 40, she had four more children pretty quickly, the last when she was 46.
                              My mother was 45 when she had my youngest brother.

I think we have all got used to the idea that people 'plan' their families to suit a lifestyle and therefore stop having children at a younger age than nature would allow!

Margaret
                              Last edited by margaretmarch; 16-06-12, 09:27.

Comment

i find in the days before contraception, it was pretty much a child a year or every 2 until mid or late 40's. it is thought some last pregnancy's happen just before menopause, as the body's last ditch effort to have a child. when the 20th century came along, people seem to have planned their families as stated above. when i'm looking for kids, i start with the year of marriage and look up to 20 years after marriage. considering most married age 20-25, 20 years on and they are still mid 40's.....

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                  i find in the days before contraception, it was pretty much a child a year or every 2 until mid or late 40's. it is thought some last pregnancy's happen just before menopause, as the body's last ditch effort to have a child. when the 20th century came along, people seem to have planned their families as stated above. when i'm looking for kids, i start with the year of marriage and look up to 20 years after marriage. considering most married age 20-25, 20 years on and they are still mid 40's.....
                                  I do just the same when looking for children. Although as time goes by it will have to be revised down as people get married later and later or even not at all these days - my niece married after both her children were born - the eldest being 5 years old - but of course both children were registered in her partner's name - modern times - modern thinking!

I would love to be on this forum in 30 years time and see what the researchers make of this era :D
                                  Margaret

Comment

Lol Margaret! They will have a nightmare!
                                    I for example have 5 children, 1 by X and then 4 by Z!
                                    However I was married to neither!
                                    I am now married and all my kids changed their name by deed to my hubbys name!
                                    Let them work that little lot out!:D

Comment

My Mum was a teacher and often nephews or neices took their uncles or aunts to school as they were older. (big families).

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

My friend (single at the time) had a baby when she was 18, and was actually in the same hospital giving birth practically alongside her mum, who was 44. They all lived together for several years, and the two daughters were brought up more like sisters than aunt and niece - in fact, it worked out well for everyone (-:

Denise

Comment

Working...
                                        X