What does this mean, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does this mean, please?

1 May 1831, baptism of William, s/o Ann Sanders of Hurley, Warwickshire.

Can someone tell me what "B of B" means, please?

Thanks
    STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

do you think one of the Bs mean b*****d ? as there is no father named ?
    Last edited by Guest; 13-06-12, 21:10.

Comment

I don't think its meant to read B of B as all the entries have "of", part of son of or daughter of. My guess this one is short for Base Born son of
      Last edited by JudithM; 13-06-12, 21:14.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I think Val is right, but it's not B of B. There are similar entries throughout the register which are clearer and it appears that the word "of" relates to "son/daughter of" & the Bs are quite separate. The B is only noted where no father is shown. Could the BB relate to a B******y Bond?
        Added: just seen Judith's post & I think her explanation is more likely!
        Last edited by Arilla; 13-06-12, 21:23. Reason: Added to original post

Comment

Oh, thanks peeps.

That Ann (my umpteenth grandmother) was either a right one or very unlucky in love. She had three "base born" children, but only the first two are marked that way in the PR. New curate by the time the third one arrived and he didn't record the child, or others he baptised, as base born.

Thanks again
          STG

Comment

I'd agree with Judith its supposed to read Base Born.. which does sound alot better than Bastard [a term which I don't like anyway]
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

LOL, you have reminded me that when I first started researching all those years ago and was looking at my very first original parish register, I was very moved and distressed about how many babies were born ill. It was a while before it dawned that ill was short for illegitimate!

OC

Comment

Hi. Me again.

Been thinking about this overnight.

If Ann had one "base born" child in 1829, then another in 1831 and a third in 1837, all in the same v.small village, then wouldn't the Parish authorities be quite likely to be rather fed up with her? Might that mean that there might be bastardy orders and/or other parish records about her/her family, and if so how might I go about finding out? [That's one sentence with three "might"s in it. A record for me!]

Edited to say : I see that Warwickshire bastardy orders are on Ancestry, but there's nothing there for this family. The civil registration district for Hurley was Tamworth in Staffs. Might they be there, or would they be with the parish, which is in Warwickshire - assuming they exist[ed] that is?

STG
                Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 14-06-12, 09:26.

Comment

STG

The parish only got fed up if they had to provide poor relief. It may be that the natural father was someone of standing in the local community and well able to provide for his children, so the authorities would not interfere. In the case of one of my relatives, her own father agreed to take responsibility for his daughter's mistake.

One way to tell is to consider what happened to those children in young adulthood - were they apprenticed or did they just work as unskilled labour? Did the mother seem in comfortable circumstances?

Unfortunately not all bastardy records (or anything else for that matter) survive, so it is pot luck.

OC

Comment

I see she and her two sons William and George with living with 60 year old Thomas Sanders in 1841. At a guess he was her father. As he was a carpenter he was probably well able to support her and her children.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I think you might be right that Thomas Sanders (1841 census) was Ann's father. In 1851 Thomas is living with his older son John and family, but still in Hurley.

Ann's oldest child, Sarah, was b. 1829, but I've not managed to find much about her, or George b. 1837.

William was my direct ancestor and I've found him on all census records except 1851. By 1861 he was a farm labourer in the Rugby area and married with three children.

STG

Edited to say - think this is Ann in 1851. No sign of the children yet though, but at least I now "know" that they're not with their mum.

Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 14-06-12, 11:09.

Comment

Have you seen these 2 entries for a George Sanders born 1838 in Hurley, Warwickshire

1881 George is single and a Mining Labourer CM living at Malt Houses, Kingsbury Piece 2771 Folio 54 Page 11
                        1891 George still single, coal miner same address piece 2211 Folio 89 Page 11

Can't find him before 1881

Comment

Oh, thanksFrazzled, I hadn't seen those. If George is still in Hurley/Kingsbury in 1881, chances are he's still somewhere close by in 1851, 61 and 71, I reckon.

I think I've found a christening for Ann. Baxterley Parish Church (3 miles from Hurley) . Daughter of Thomas and Anne Saunders of Hurley, on 6 Jan 1803.

Now off to see if I can find a marriage between Thomas and Anne.

Thanks
                          STG

Comment

If you have an idea who the father might be its always worth looking for his will in case he mentions the children. I have a corker in which the deceased names all 9 of his illegitimate children by three different mothers!!!!!

Anne

Comment

Anne

Yes, I have something similar, where the dead man leaves his vast fortune to two seemingly complete strangers. They are of course his illegitimate children.

OC

Comment

Hi STG
                                Have you seen the Ralph Ratcliff/Ann Saunders marriage on Ancestry?

The banns were called in June 1851 but the marriage didn't take place until Feb 1852.
                                No father named for Ann but one witness was a John Sandears.

This may be John's marriage in 1835 to an Elizabeth Ratcliff, unfortunately too early to give their father's names. Note the spelling of the surname on the top line with an a inserted.

Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                  Hi STG
                                  Have you seen the Ralph Ratcliff/Ann Saunders marriage on Ancestry?

The banns were called in June 1851 but the marriage didn't take place until Feb 1852.
                                  No father named for Ann but one witness was a John Sandears.

This may be John's marriage in 1835 to an Elizabeth Ratcliff, unfortunately too early to give their father's names. Note the spelling of the surname on the top line with an a inserted.

Moggie

Ah ha! Thanks for finding that.

In 1851 Ann is Ralph Ratcliffe's "housekeeper". He's 34, she's 47.

So, she's an "honest woman" at last!

Yay!

STG

Comment

Working...
                                  X