Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Living relative with 3 different birth registers???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living relative with 3 different birth registers???

Is there anyone with good knowledge of how the birth registers work that could help me out with this one? I have a living relative who seems to have 3 different birth registers! I know I can't put names down for living relatives here so if anyone has knowledge on how the system works then a PM would be very much appreciated!

~Robyn

Robyn

Are you sure you mean three different REGISTRATIONS, or do you mean you have found three entries in the indexes?

the usual explanation is that the parents are not married to each other, so you get something like this

Joe Bloggs 1a 123
    Joe Smith 1a 123

This is only one registration and leads to only one certificate as it is just a cross reference in the index to both surnames.

You might then have

Joe Bloggs mmn Smith see d90

Which means the birth has been re-registered because the birth parents have married each other - this re registration is required by law.

OC

Comment

Ok here goes my awful attempt to explain it!!

The first one is as you've described - parents weren't married so can find my relative on two different pages with each surname that was being used and they both cross-reference back to the same index from 1964.

Now, this is where it confuses me - hand-written at the bottom of one of these original indexes is a little amendment that leads to ANOTHER registration index, which I assumed would be where my relative was re-registered after the parents got married in 1969.

But then, in another search, I've found the entry in the 1969 register after my relative has been re-registered after the wedding, but the register number on the printed one in 1969 doesn't match the hand-written number on the original index in 1964? I don't know whether it's human error or what, but I have NO clue which one I should be ordering!

Maybe if I could send you the links to the records on Ancestry it might make a bit more sense?

~Robyn

Comment

Hello

my husband has all 3 certificates
        1 mothers married name ( she was married to someone else at the time) as his parents were not married
        2 his fathers name
        3 when his parents married 16yrs later.

They all give basically the same information except the 3rd one gives his mothers maiden name

hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by dobbiedobz1 View Post
          Ok here goes my awful attempt to explain it!!

The first one is as you've described - parents weren't married so can find my relative on two different pages with each surname that was being used and they both cross-reference back to the same index from 1964.

Now, this is where it confuses me - hand-written at the bottom of one of these original indexes is a little amendment that leads to ANOTHER registration index, which I assumed would be where my relative was re-registered after the parents got married in 1969.

But then, in another search, I've found the entry in the 1969 register after my relative has been re-registered after the wedding, but the register number on the printed one in 1969 doesn't match the hand-written number on the original index in 1964? I don't know whether it's human error or what, but I have NO clue which one I should be ordering!

Maybe if I could send you the links to the records on Ancestry it might make a bit more sense?

~Robyn
          Sounds to me that the handwritten entry is a mistake.

Depends why you are ordering the cert. If you want the mother's maiden name surely you already have it in the original cert when she was not married - unless she was married to someone else and her maiden name is not given.

I would do as has been suggested elsewhere on her by others and ask the local register office which one to order for the information you need.

Margaret

Comment

Or, you could play safe and order the 1964 one - they will be led to the 1969 one and send you that, because the 1969 certificate suppresses the 1964 one.

OC

Comment

I have two birth registrations for a cousin. The first one when she was born and the second one when she got married. The second one has her father's name changed. He was in films and had used a different name on her birth certificate.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I think my best bet is probably to speak to someone at the registry office to maybe get them to clarify it, or try ordering all 3 certificates from each registry number and see what happens. Have tried ordering the first one though - will see what I get back, IF I get anything back haha!

~Robyn

Comment

The GRO will only supply the latest certificate, irrespective of which one you order. The local RO ought to do the same but might be more forthcoming about what the registers say.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                  X