baptism help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baptism help

im trying to find bapstism records of an ann blackburn she clould be anne as well mother is sarah blackburn the father is unknown but sarahs father is james blackburn from rigby street nelson lancashire

if anyone can help please let me know ty xxx

Do you have an approximate year of birth?
    Elaine

Comment

sorry i forgot to add i just noticed according to her birth certificate she was born june 1873 she later married a john william greenwood in 1895 at the baptist chapel road nelson

Comment

Do you have the address where she was born?
        Elaine

Comment

I can't see an obvious baptism and maybe she wasn't baptised - not everyone was, by that time. Does she name a father on her marriage cert? If not, I think it's unlikely you will find the father's name.

OC

Comment

You say she married in a baptist chapel. If she was from a baptist family then you are unlikely to find an infant baptism in a c of e church for her.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I don't know if this information that Raffles has posted on the other thread 'blackbun,walton, greenwood' helps at all but thought it migh be worth copying it here -
              ive been on the parish lan opc website i joined lancashire heraldy society but im always worried of i get a wrong link for ex there were three sarah blackburns from trawden and marsden all born in 1853 took me ages to find out
              i have a burning question is there anyway of knowing a father if the dad isnt on the birth certificate has anyone any ideas the birth was of ann blackburn from marsden 1873 mother sarah blackburn so im trying to find christening records at the least for her sarah lived with her dad james blackburn from rigby street nelson listed as a watch maker if anyone can find any christening details i would be greatful
              ty xx
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 13-06-12, 08:29.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I have been having a look at your query and wondered if I could ask a few questions please Raffles as I am rather confused.

You say that you have found Ann living with her father James, a watchmaker. Which census did you find this on and how do you know that this is your Ann? Could it be that perhaps you have the wrong birth certificate for your Ann and if not, how did you work out that had the right birth certificate?

Have you worked backwards by getting certificates until you got to Ann Blackburn and if so have you got the marriage certificate for Ann to John William Greenwood? If not, I think you need this first. The reference is - John William Greenwood to Ann Blackburn - Oct-Dec 1895 - Burnley - ref 8e 503.

You probably know this but in case you don't I thought I should post it - the best two places to order your certificates from, so that you don't pay over the odds, are the General Register Office, which you will find here - http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp
                Or the local register office covering the area that the certificate is held in.
                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 13-06-12, 09:10.

Comment

I have the marriage certificate was difficult because her mother sarah blackburn married after she was born in 1874 she married a halstead walton i got hold of the marriage certificate and i was able to check the address on the marriage cert of sarah blackburn what made it so hard was on ann blackburn marriage cert she signed her name ann blackburn instead of ann walton i was able to check the census and after sarah got amrried her name on the census was ann walton i knew for a fact due to a family member telling me that halstead walton is a member of the family because his son reuben is her grandfather shes also my mums couisn so i know details are correct because the address on sarahs marriage cert matches the address on the birth cert of ann blackburn
                  Last edited by raffles; 13-06-12, 09:33.

Comment

Thank you Raffles, I understand now. So basically, you know that Ann was born before her mother married and all you really want to know is who her father was. I'm afraid it's probably one of those things you may never know for sure. It could have been Halstead or someone else entirely.

Comment

if she got married in a baptist church would she have to be baptised does anyone know this or didnt it matter then im just curious xxxxx

Comment

She could have been baptised as an adult in the Baptist church sometime before her marriage.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                        X