2 possible sets of parents - which is correct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 possible sets of parents - which is correct

Thomas Brown was baptised in Leicester 3 Feb 1766, parents William and Mary, according to the LRFHS baptism index. On IGI I found the marriage for William Brown and Mary Percival on 19/10/1761, and for William Brown and Mary Hardy on 3/4/1762. There was also a marriage between William Brown and Mary Willson on 27/8/1769. Between 1762 and 1786 a total of 12 children were born to "William and Mary". (All ceremonies were at St Margarets) Would there be any more info on the baptism records themselves that might help to define which child belonged to which couple, or do I just throw my hands up in despair.

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
    Thomas Brown was baptised in Leicester 3 Feb 1766, parents William and Mary, according to the LRFHS baptism index. On IGI I found the marriage for William Brown and Mary Percival on 19/10/1761, and for William Brown and Mary Hardy on 3/4/1762. There was also a marriage between William Brown and Mary Willson on 27/8/1769. Between 1762 and 1786 a total of 12 children were born to "William and Mary". (All ceremonies were at St Margarets) Would there be any more info on the baptism records themselves that might help to define which child belonged to which couple, or do I just throw my hands up in despair.

Linda
    There is a feint possibility that occupations of father's may have been noted in the original record which could give a clue.

Margaret

Comment

The baptisms have also been filmed by Familysearch - would that be the original records, so would it be worthwhile ordering the film to have a look do you think?
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
        There is a feint possibility that occupations of father's may have been noted in the original record which could give a clue.

Margaret
        Or they might have distinguishing "abodes".

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Unfortunately, abode and occupation did not generally appear on baptism records until pre-printed forms were introduced in 1813 (following Rose's Act of 1812). It would still be worthwhile checking the microfilmed original just in case, but in the time period that you are looking (1760's), you will most likely just have the baptism date, child's name and parents names.

Comment

Working...
          X