Am I on the right track?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I on the right track?

I've decided to research one town that some ancestors came from and have come across this entry:

"Elizth & Ann daus of Jas DAVID deceased, and Mary his reputed wife, otherwise Mary STEDDER, now the reputed wife of Saml MORRIS"

I'm assuming that Elizth and Ann's surname is DAVID.. Mary STEDDER is their mother... and she may or may not have been married to Jas DAVID. He has died sometime between the girls conception and baptism and their mother Mary may or may not have married Saml MORRIS sometime before the baptism.

Am I on the right track?

Sounds right to me.

Comment

Yes, its interesting that the record says they are the daughters of Jas DAVID. If the vicar had been in doubt about him he would surely have put the mother's name first and his name as the reputed father. Even so there must have been doubt in the vicar's mind as to whether they were actually married.

Anne

Comment

Thank you both...

It's a very interesting entry... I like it though :D

Comment

Ah, I've come across this sort of thing before.

You do not say when this was, but in my case, it always stems from the Interregnum period, when church marriages were banned and only civil marriages were allowed. Once everything was back to normal, the Church required that couples married again the church. Some refused, having no love for the church or the Vicar and this slight was never forgiven and (in my family's case) was remembered for three or four generations in the records - "John Whittaker alias Garlick" - when his parents were most definitely married long before his conception.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            Ah, I've come across this sort of thing before.

You do not say when this was, but in my case, it always stems from the Interregnum period, when church marriages were banned and only civil marriages were allowed. Once everything was back to normal, the Church required that couples married again the church. Some refused, having no love for the church or the Vicar and this slight was never forgiven and (in my family's case) was remembered for three or four generations in the records - "John Whittaker alias Garlick" - when his parents were most definitely married long before his conception.

OC
            Very interesting..... I've come across many of the "alias" comments... Thank you for telling me what it means.

The entry dates from 1750's.... I think 1751... don't have it open atm...

Comment

Working...
            X