Marriage roughly about 1812

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage roughly about 1812

I cant find this marriage in Family Search, could someone please look in Ancestry or any other site please, also a few odd births.

Joseph Evans b about 1785 Glenfield Worc, died 16 Aug 1864 31 Park Street, Charlton Kings Glos.
    Mary ****** b about 1778 in Mitchelean Glos, died 1854 Charlton Kings.

The deaths are correct, not so sure about the births, I'm only going on the censuses, part of which are shown here

1841 Census Rosina Cottage -
    Joseph Evans, 50, Nurseryman, Of this county
    Mary Evans, 60, Of this county

1851 Census 66 Rosina Cottage
    Joseph Evans Head Married 63, Nurseryman employing 13 men Gives his date of birth as 1788 born Worcester Glenfield
    Mary 72 born 1799 Wife, Glos Mitcheldean No Occup
    Mary Ann 36 b 1815 Glos St Michael No Occup

1861 Census
    Joseph Evans, 24 Park Street, widower 75 Retired nurseryman of Eldersfield, Worcester
    Mary Ann 45 unmarried daughter Seamstress Gloucester

Their first daughter Elizabeth Evans was born 1813 Barton Risien (note place of birth) - so whether they got married there, or in Charlton Kings, Glos, I don't know. Elizabeth was alread married at the time of the 1841 Census

The Harriett Evans mentioned in the 1841 census - I have no proof that she is their daughter, or a niece ????

Many thanks,
    Jood
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

Harriett seems to have been their daughter:

I have the baptism of Harriet at Upton St Leonards, Glos, on 1st February 1818, parents Joseph (a gardener) and Mary Evans.

This is not online as far as I know.

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Baptism of Mary Ann is probably this one at Gloucester St Michael on 29th October 1815:

Mary Ann, parents Joseph (gardener) & Mary Evans

scuda
      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

A possible marriage (online at http://www.forest-of-dean.net)

Joseph Evans & Mary Miller, both of full age, married at Gloucester St Michael on 6th September 1809. They were both residing in Gloucester, the marriage was by banns, and the witnesses were Elizabeth Blossom and George [illegible]

It says the names of witnesses were not clear - I suspect Blossom is wrong (Bloxsom or some variant seems more likely)

scuda
        Last edited by scuda; 09-06-12, 10:02.

Comment

That marriage looks more likely now, as I have found the baptism of Mary Miller at Mitcheldean on 19th June 1777, parents James and Mary.

Like the marriage, this is on http://www.forest-of-dean.net (free to use, but you must register first).

scuda

Comment

By the way, ignore 'Glenfield' for Joseph's birthplace, I don't think it exists: Eldersfield as clearly written in 1861 is almost certainly what was intended, the 1851 writing is very difficult to read.

Eldersfield registers (transcriptions) for that time are available on http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....ag44/index.htm

There is a possible baptism for Joseph at Eldersfield on 30th January 1786, parents Thomas & Mary Evans.

scuda

Comment

Hi Scuda - you've done a fantastic job! I'd never heard of forest-of-dean.net website - I presume that is for the Glos area? I had never heard of Upton St Leonards, Glos - is that anywhere near Charlton Kings, Glos? I did visit Charlton Kings in 1999, and saw the cemetery where some of the family were buried. Where is Mitcheldean in relation to Charlton Kings also?

I am thrilled to bits with the information as I've been stuck there for a long time.

Thank you again.

Comment

Hi Jood,

Upton St Leonards is on the south-east outskirts of Gloucester, Charlton Kings is on the south-east outskirts of Cheltenham. Mitcheldean is in the Forest of Dean, to the west of Gloucester. In fact, they are almost in a straight line across the north of the county (Mitcheldean to Gloucester about 13 miles, Gloucester to Cheltenham about 10 miles).

www.forest-of-dean.net originated as a website for the Forest area, but has expanded into the surrounding areas. They seem to include marriages from various parishes in Gloucester itself because it wasn't uncommon for Forest people to marry there, but in general they don't have baptisms or burials for those parishes.

scuda

Comment

The genealogical database at Glos Archives http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/genealogy/Search.aspx lists the will of Mary Miller, widow, of Mitcheldean in May 1811. If this is Mary's mother the will might just be late enough to mention her as Mary Evans (bearing in mind this is the probate date). I can't see a burial related to this on the F-o-D site, though - strange!

scuda

Comment

Thanks for explaining where those towns were. I did know Cheltenham, from memory it was a very leafy town. I'm really excited about all this new history, and about to enter it all in now.

I'm sure you have helped me before on some family history, probably not the same family - tho the Evans family married into the Burgess family of whom I am related.

Many many thanks.

Can I just ask if St Michaels was a church - like - it says Gloucester St Michael. Or is St Michael a town - and it should read St Michaels, Gloucester??
                    Last edited by jood; 10-06-12, 02:27.

Comment

St Michael would have been a church and parish within Gloucester. I think it would have been pretty central, as today St Michael's tower (all that remains of the church) stands where the four main streets meet. I would record the place as Gloucester, the church as St Michael (or St Michael's - I never sure which is correct)

Please double check the info I've given you, as far as possible - I'd hate to send you off in the wrong direction!

And yes, Cheltenham does fairly well for trees and public gardens - as a spa town it has tended to be somewhat more "up-market" than Gloucester.

scuda

Comment

Thanks re St Michaels, it does sound like a church. I'm positive the information you have given me is correct.

I wish I had known Cheltenham was a spa town tho!

Comment

Working...
                        X