Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I find out a birth date so I can order a birth certificate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find out a birth date so I can order a birth certificate?

Newbie here so my apologies if this isnt the right place for this post or if it is a little garbled...

My mum died in December and from some heart to heart talks with my dad these past 6 months I hae found out about a sister who was born before me and died at one month old. I know she was previously mentioned years ago but it is only now that I have some of her details and I have tried to track down more information about her.

I used a free site to track down her death (this was his most vivid memory), this took me hours of searching through scanned in records as my dad couldnt remember what year it was and I did get her death certificate (8/8/1966 in Pembury Hospital) but now I would like to know when she was born.

I have found her birth registered in the Tonbrdige district July August September 1966 records under Leslie Marie Martin (Dillon) ref volume 5F page 1196 but I have tried 4 times now to get a certificate for her and each time I get an email to say "The information stated on the application does not match the entry identified. "

So I have her name, the reference number but all I am missing is her actual date of birth which is needed on the application as otherwise I have to guess a date approx one month before her death. I cannot complete the application without a date and I even put as my reference "birth date unknown" in the hope that whoever processes it can see I dont have the date but so far all applications have failed.

Am I missing something? Is the reference number incorrect (the typing is a little faded) or can I only get a certificate with the exact date? Do I have to apply for every date in July until I hit the right one? Is there somewhere else to look for the exact date or do I have to go to the Tonbridge office to get an exact date?

Sorry to rant, I have never done this before and I really want to know more about her in order to understand what having children meant to my parents.

Karen
    xXx

Could it be that you have the name incorrect? I note that you are spelling it "Leslie" in your post, but on the register it is "Lesley". If the name doesn't match they will not send the certificate. The request must match what is on the register, even if the register is incorrect. I always thought that Leslie was for boys and Lesley for girls?

Linda

PS Forgot to say welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by ozgirl; 07-06-12, 21:02.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Hello Karen and welcome to FTF.

The information you give to the GRO should be EXACTLY as you find it on the index (even if the index is wrong.) Do not give any more information because if you do and it is wrong by even one letter, your application will be turned down.

I think though that the problem here is that the birth was less than 50 years ago and therefore legally you are supposed to give a date of birth.

In your position I would try the local Register Office (sorry, don't know where Pembury is). Phone them and explain the situation, that you have the death cert of your sister etc and I am sure they will issue the certificate.

Good luck.

OC

Comment

Hi Karen

I would be tempted to order direct from the Kent registrars (they hold the original registers and can supply a certificate). You won't need a date of birth or GRO reference number as the local/county offices use their own index system.

You can order in several ways, might be worth giving them a ring and explaining the situation beforehand, see the council registrar pages on the following link;

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 07-06-12, 21:08.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

OC is right its because she died less than 50 years ago so ring them instead.
          Oh and they are correct you must say Lesley as in the image.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-06-12, 21:20.

Comment

(Oooh, hello Glen! Great minds think alike!)

OC

Comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Yes I spelt the name wrong again, it is Lesley not Leslie (my typo here) but it was correct on the applications (just checked my emails to make sure).

My dad does not have any certificates or paperwork, not a photo, a lock of hair or a piece of clothing - she died of an awful skin disease which caused an intracranial haemorrhage, all he said was they got a phone call at a neighbours house to say she had died but he has nothing of hers.

Thanks for the Kent registrars link, I will follow that up, I did not know you could do it through the KCC!

Thank you for the welcome and the advice!

Karen
              xXx

Comment

Hi Karen

If your sister was born in Pembury she would have been registered at Mansion House, 39 Grove Hill Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN1 1EP, so if you still live in the area you could call in there. If you are not in the area the link Glen gave you will give you all the info.

Comment

Have spoken to a very nice lady at the KCC today and she took all my details, along with dates and reference numbers and said she would look into it and ring me if there were any problems - so much easier to speak to a human being and explain the problem I had!

I never realised that I could get certificates this way, so here is hoping she can find it for me.

Thank you so much for the welcome and the advice! xXx

Comment

Karen

Good result. The GRO automated ordering service is great if you know exactly what you want but if you want personal service for an extra 50p, lol, then the local Registry Office is the place to go. They have always gone the extra mile for me.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      Karen

Good result. The GRO automated ordering service is great if you know exactly what you want but if you want personal service for an extra 50p, lol, then the local Registry Office is the place to go. They have always gone the extra mile for me.

OC
                      OC, you are leaning against an open door saying that near me, thoughts of your record office visits wearing wide belts leap into my mind for some reason.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

O, HAAAA Glen! You were born too late for me, unfortunately (unfortunately for me, not for you, probably)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Karen

OC
                          - for me, too

I must, just slightly sidetracking, say how good the service was from the GRO in Roscommon, Ireland recently - posted the application 1st June, marriage record received on the 9th!
                          Joy

Comment

Update - the certificate arrived Friday and now at last I know when my sister was born.

Thank you all so much for welcoming a newbie and giving me such excellent help as I would not have even thought of the KCC website.

Karen
                            xXx

Comment

so pleased for you

Comment

Glad to hear of a good result. Another reason for using the local register office is if the name is misspelt in the GRO index.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Barrett View Post
                                  Update - the certificate arrived Friday and now at last I know when my sister was born.

Thank you all so much for welcoming a newbie and giving me such excellent help as I would not have even thought of the KCC website.

Karen
                                  xXx

Glad to hear all went well and you found what you were looking for

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                                  X