Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pub in Burnham-on-Crouch

Hi all,
    I am trying to fill in a few gaps in the history of my paternal grandparents, Fred Robert and Ellen (or Helen) Carrier. I am fairly sure that they ran a pub in Burnham-on-Crouch (Essex) in the late 1940's or very early 1950's. They took it on when he retired from his job as a panelbeater in London.
    My only memory of it was when I was perhaps 8 or 9 years old, and I can remember that it was near the sea, as I used to fish for crabs from the sea wall. The other memory was that it had a stuffed 5-legged sheep (or lamb) in a glass case on the wall, bizarre now but fascinating to an 8 year old. I think it had 4 normal legs plus one on the back of its neck.
    I have tried the websites on old pubs etc., without any success. Has anyone any ideas on how I can track this down? I just hope that my memory is not totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is correct.
    As usual, all help will be very welcome.
    Bob.

Hi Bob

this is a good website:

Comment

lol! Auotcorrect fail!!

Deadpubs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Debbss View Post
        Hi Bob

this is a good website:
        www.deadpans.co.uk
        Well that raised a smile! LOL
        Margaret

Comment

It may be worth asking at the town's museum. They are normally a font of knowledge and I'm sure there will be a local or two who will remember the five legged sheep (sounds like a dream).
          Oops, looks like the page is lost. Start your website on the cheap.

P.S. In my view it's not always a good idea to post the same question on two or more forums at the same time. It stops duplication and people wasting their time.
          Last edited by keldon; 07-06-12, 16:14.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Hi keldon, thanks for that. I looked on the museum website, which did not directly answer my query so I have sent them a message to see if they can help. There is also a link to the Essex family history society, so I will try that as well.
            Bob.

Comment

If you don't get any joy from those sources try the local weekly newspaper the Maldon and Burnham Standard. They often print letters to the editor from people seeking info for family history and someone may recognise the name or the description of the sheep. Here's their website http://www.maldonandburnhamstandard.co.uk/
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Your grandparents would have had to apply for a licence - so local archives may be helpful and electoral rolls.

On ancestry there is a methodist baptism of a Fred Robert Carrier in Newham, Middx, in 1895 - parents Charles William and Alice. Is this your chap?

In 1911 he is living with mum and family in west ham and working at ironworks

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
                Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 10-06-12, 20:00.

Comment

Hi Heather, thanks for that. I have the birth certificate and the baptism, and it is indeed my grandfather. Someone has found him in the 1949 telephone directory in the Old Ship Hotel (High Street, Burnham-on-Crouch) so I think that confirms the story, since the name and date tie up. I have not been able to find the electoral register for the area, nor can I find out how to access the phone book, but I will continue. The licence idea is a good one. There is a museum in Burnham-on-Crouch, so I will contact them to see if they can help. I must find out how to access electoral registers and old phone books, as these will help in researching other parts of the family in different areas.
                  I have the 1911 census, and it is interesting that he is shown as working in an ironworks. His marriage certificate shows him as a tinsmith, and by the time I knew him he was a panelbeater. He worked on making spitfires during the war, then back to panelbeating, then retired to run a pub.
                  Thanks again,
                  Bob.
                  Last edited by Bobc35; 11-06-12, 11:17.

Comment

Was the link I gave you to the local paper not useful Bob, as you haven't acknowledged it?

Essex record office hold electoral registers but only have the 1929 register searchable online.
                    Last edited by JudithM; 11-06-12, 15:45.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi Judith,
                      sorry for the delay. I sent a brief letter to the local paper, and thought I would continue searching while that (hopefully) brings a result. When I get a response I will post it here.
                      Regards,
                      Bob.

Comment

Working...
                      X