Switzerland place names help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switzerland place names help

Where in Switzerland was Joseph Caveng born please?

Probate Calendar says Joseph Caveng of Neukirch Switzerland

Your ancestry link could be Noukirk ??

.. both possibly translate in the same way to New Church ???
    Elaine

Comment

I'm useless with Swiss names so it could be spelt either way ??? thanks Elaine .

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        I'm useless with Swiss names so it could be spelt either way ??? thanks Elaine .
        No idea - but neu = new in German, and kirche = church
        Nou is new in French and kirk, well a kirk is a church?

I don't know what the place is officially known as.
        Elaine

Comment

If you go to google maps there appears to be quite a few places called Neukirch in Switzerland.
          Elaine

Comment

Anything in FamilySearch?

Just in case it's escaped anyone, French and German are the dominant languages in Switzerland, followed by Italian and Romantsch.

I reckon the census does say "Neukirk" - the join (faintly) appears to come from the bottom of the first letter of what would be "eu", unlike "ou" in the line above. It's possible that the enumerator didn't really grasp how it would be spelt and made a guess on the basis of pronunciation.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 06-06-12, 20:20.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks again Elaine and Christine I am hoping to find Joseph's Son Joseph and his family in Switzerland as they disappear after 1901 .
              Thanks again.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-06-12, 20:41.

Comment

Working...
              X