Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Leyton Purdy

Hi,
    Looking for the death of E L Purdy, he was born in UK in 1893 and emigrated to Australia in 1948. Was last noted on the electoral roll in 1980

in NSW. I have looked at all the conventional records - Ryerson index, Ancestry, Trove and have not been able to find any record of his death.

Any other areas I could look at please.
    Last edited by grumpy; 06-06-12, 09:05.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

David,

am abit confused, you say you are after Eric Leytons death? who is E R Purdy? (or have I misunderstood you?) I find him on the 1911 UK cens, and it states he was born in Sydney NSW? then I find electoral roll in 1918, and a passenger list incoming in 1949, stating that his intended residence place is England and he is a Hotel proprietor. can you help clarify please
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie,
      Bit of a puzzle wasn't he ? I was looking for his death for a friend and can offer the following.

He was born in Newtown (NSW) in 1893 and moved to UK after completing his education in NSW. After the end of the war he became a Hotelier

in Kensington (UK) and married Acile Wainwright in 1920. Following her death in 1958 he returned to Australia and lived in Bondi NSW. The last

record I have of him he was living at 12/355 New South Head Road (probably Paddington) and was on the electoral roll as late as 1980.

I am led to believe that he had at least one return trip to UK after 1958. Hope this clears up any problems you may have.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
        David,

am abit confused, you say you are after Eric Leytons death? who is E R Purdy? (or have I misunderstood you?) I find him on the 1911 UK cens, and it states he was born in Sydney NSW? then I find electoral roll in 1918, and a passenger list incoming in 1949, stating that his intended residence place is England and he is a Hotel proprietor. can you help clarify please
        It is Eric Leyton Purdy who grumpy is looking for.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
          Julie,
          Bit of a puzzle wasn't he ? I was looking for his death for a friend and can offer the following.

He was born in Newtown (NSW) in 1893 and moved to UK after completing his education in NSW. After the end of the war he became a Hotelier

in Kensington (UK) and married Acile Wainwright in 1920. Following her death in 1958 he returned to Australia and lived in Bondi NSW. The last

record I have of him he was living at 12/355 New South Head Road (probably Paddington) and was on the electoral roll as late as 1980.

I am led to believe that he had at least one return trip to UK after 1958. Hope this clears up any problems you may have.
          not having much luck David, I can see the 1980 electoral roll for Bondi for him and previous ones too but nothing after.. I think that as this is the last sighting you have of him it might be worthwhile contacting the local library/council/cemetery for possible burial records, I dont know much about searching Aus for info, but this is what I would do if it were me that was looking, maybe local papers would have something for an obit if he was in the hotel trade?? it might narrow things down abit, what about trade directories? do they have those in Aus?

sorry I can't be more helpful.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Are you confident he was born in the UK?

There's a reference to E L PURDY, in the paper of 6 Sep 1954...
            The 55-year-old Sydney sloop, Heartsease, which is being sailed on a three month Barrier Reef cruise by her skipper-owner, Mr. Eric Purdy, is in Brisbane. Mr. Purdy recently retired from running a chain of London Hotels. Mr. Purdy, Sydney born, celebrated his 61st birth day yesterday shortly after arriving in port. ...

That leads to a birth record in the NSW BMD database in 1893 (Newtown), with parents Walter J & Charlotte A PURDY.

I haven't found a death record, though.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Julie,

It does seem Eric was born in NSW in 1893 and came to the UK to live until 1958 when he returned to NSW so it seems most likely he is the one referred to in the newspaper article.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks ladies for the efforts. Sorry Christine, senior moment after a phone call led me to saying he was born in UK later corrected in post no 3.

I don't know what you believe but I find it harder to find details that happened less than 50 years ago than information that may be around a

century or two ago. Will act on your suggestions Julie, and see if I can come up with anything.
                I think you'll find that's mainly because of privacy requirements. I'd be less than thrilled to think that all my private info could be summoned up at the click of a button by just anyone who was a bit interested.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks ladies for the efforts. Sorry Christine, senior moment after a phone call led me to saying he was born in UK later corrected in post no 3.

I don't know what you believe but I find it harder to find details that happened less than 50 years ago than information that may be around a

century or two ago. Will act on your suggestions Julie, and see if I can come up with anything.
                  I think you'll find that's mainly because of privacy requirements. I'd be less than thrilled to think that all my private info could be summoned up at the click of a button by just anyone who was a bit interested.

Christine

Comment

David

Comment

I've had a look at the main cemeteries in the Sydney area, but I can't see a burial.

Comment

Working...
                      X