Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find {female} Russell as was

Hi everyone

I am not sure if my thread will be allowed as it does involve a living person, but this is my last hope of trying to find out what happened to my Maternal Grandfather Roland Russell. No one seems to know what happened to him, my mother was born in 1914 and she did not know anything about her father, if she did she never told me, she always says that he was killed in the First World War, I have done extensive research to see if I could find any record of this but with no success. My maternal Grandmother remarried. I know that Roland had a brother called Harold born 1882 and a sister Evelyn born 1886 and Roland was born 1889, I have discovered that Harold had a daughter {living name removed} born 1947 and just wondered if I could find out if she married and if so what her married name was, maybe she would have some information on Roland.

I have called on this forum and other forums for help in finding what happened to Roland but I seem to have hit a brick wall, if he was killed in the war, not all records survived, so maybe that is the answer, maybe he did not go to war at all, but just left!!!

It is one piece of a jigsaw that I cannot solve.

Brenda

EDITED to remove living name. Anyone who thinks they're likely to be able to help can send a PM to pick up the final details. ~ Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-06-12, 20:10.

Have you discounted the death in 1918? The right age.

On your grandmother's second marriage cert, does she say widow?

OC

Comment

I take it that this is the family in Leeds. Roland's birth appears to have been registered in 1888 - in Leeds North. Eveline/Evelyn's birth was registered in the same District in 1885, and Harold Frederick's in 1882.
      (This is all from http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk)

The same site records Roland's marriage at St Stephen and St Agnes, Burmantofts in 1911.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-06-12, 20:18.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes it says widow and she remarried in 1935 when she was 43!

Comment

So, have you discounted the death in 1918?

OC

Comment

No, but I do not have any details, where was the information about that death, i checked on Yorkshire BMD and it wasn't there.

Brenda

Comment

Roland Russell(30)
              Dec 1918 Kingston 2a 1118

From freebmd.

OC

Comment

I never saw that death because I specified Yorkshire in my search on that site. I agree that the dates are right but if he died young in the Uk and not in the army then I think he would have been in Yorkshire with family.

I am resigned to the fact that i may never know, but cannot help thinking that there must be some clue out there somewhere!

Thanks for your help

Brenda

Comment

There were several military hospitals in Kingston and a Red Cross receiving centre.

There are only about 15 deaths in FIFTY years for men called Roland Russell and that is the only one with the correct age or anything like it and during WW1.

You die where you die, not where you ought to die. If that isn't him I would be absolutely astonished!

OC

Comment

I did not know about the military hospitals in Kingston. I will send for that death certificate.

Thanks again

Brenda

Comment

Originally posted by pyghtle View Post
                      I did not know about the military hospitals in Kingston. I will send for that death certificate.

Thanks again

Brenda
                      I agree with OC that this death looks to be right. I shall see what I can find for the female relative that you sent me details of in a PM just in case though.

Margaret

Comment

Good - come back and tell us what it says!

I hope it's the right one. I can't imagine it won't be, though.

OC

Comment

I've sent some details for the female Russell relative in case you need them.

Like OC I don't think you will need her in relation to the death but may like to get in touch anyway.

Margaret

Comment

If it's 1918 - that would probably have been in the midst of the horrendous 'flu epidemic that took so many lives - more than the war, I think? (without checking!)

Christine

This gives the relevant info (and looks plausible): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic
                            It reminds me that someone in the prime of life was much more vulnerable than people normally considered weaker (young, elderly) because it worked by making the immune system work against it's victims: a stronger immune system was then a stronger self-attacker.
                            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 06-06-12, 13:34.
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I had a look here: http://www2.kingston.gov.uk/GraveRecords/
                              but Roland doesn't seem to have a grave listed there (or not one that's been transcribed, anyway), even thought there are a couple of other RUSSELLs who died in 1918, and one in 1919.

Christine

Comment

Can I remind you of your thread on Rootschat last year http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...topic=559461.0 You were given the 1918 death details there, also a possible Rowland Russell aged 29 arriving in New York in 1917. Probably a good idea to revisit that thread and pool the info with what you have been given here.
                                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Christine

I did think of flu and it is possible. My great grandmother went to bed perfectly healthy on Feb 22nd, 1919 and was dead by the following evening from flu.

There is a huge number of deaths listed in the district for Dec 1918 and possibly a lot of these are from flu and also returning servicemen. However, I think family memory would have said "He died from flu" rather than "He died in the war".

We shall see!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                    Christine

I did think of flu and it is possible. My great grandmother went to bed perfectly healthy on Feb 22nd, 1919 and was dead by the following evening from flu.

There is a huge number of deaths listed in the district for Dec 1918 and possibly a lot of these are from flu and also returning servicemen. However, I think family memory would have said "He died from flu" rather than "He died in the war".

We shall see!

OC
                                    Indeed, OC.

I had a grandfather who "died in WW1", but - curiously - appears not to have been buried until 1967, in Florida, having married at least once more! (assuming my research is correct)

Christine

Comment

Thankyou Judith!

OC

Comment

I have just read right through the messages from last year on Rootschat Brenda and someone on there also mentioned the Military connection to Kingston and suggested the death cert. As there doesn't appear to be a record of his burial in Kingston either perhaps he was brought back home to Yorkshire to be buried? I do think that if he was mine I would feel compelled to send for that death cert.
                                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                        X