Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lott is giving me alot of headaches...........help please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lott is giving me alot of headaches...........help please!!

I have the marriage certificate of Mary Ann Sherman. Her father is given as Lott Sherman.

this is the family in 1841

this is them in 1851 (mistranscribed as Sol Shurman) I know it to be them as the address is the same as on the 1841:

Cannot find them on the 1861 and then this is them on the 1871:

Thing is I cannot find a marriage other than this one to a Mary:

Name: Lot Shearman
    Spouse's Name: Mary Ann Room
    Marriage Date: 9 Dec 1829
    Marriage Place: Horfield, Gloucestershire, England

On the 1841 and 1851 Mary is half his age BUT by the 1871 the age is not that different. Has he married two different Marys but married 3 times as my Mary Ann Sherman was born in 1832, so the woman on the 1841 and on the 1851 cannot be her mother.

Have been going around in circles for a couple of days and have bitten the bullet to ask for help!

I have googled Lott/Lot and it seems that it is of hebrew origin. there only appears to be one on the census and he his mine.

any help gratefully received
    KAREN xx

That is them on the 1861 Elaine............brilliant thank you. Wifes age is similar to his on the 1861. so has he married 3 times?? First marriage in 1829. When i saw it thought that was correct for my Mary anns mother but the the age on the 1841 and 1851 gives his wifes age as not that different to my Mary Ann!
    KAREN xx

Comment

On the 1841 census do you think that the Mary aged 25 is his wife or daughter?
      Elaine

Comment

I am pretty sure it is his wife Elaine, the Mary Ann aged 7 is the one I have the marriage cert for. On the 1851 wifes age is consistent with the 1841. Then changes with the 1861 and 1871 to much nearer his age.
        KAREN xx

Comment

Actually thinking about it, it is just the age on the 1841 that is a worry, she would have only been 13 when she married in 1829 BUT on the 1851 she has not aged a day. She is still half her husbands age but he is still 50 and she is 26! On the 1841 he was 50 and she 25. How can they both be the same age 10 years on...............Wish I could do that!!
          KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post

this is the family in 1841

Has he married two different Marys but married 3 times as my Mary Ann Sherman was born in 1832, so the woman on the 1841 and on the 1851 cannot be her mother.
            The Mary on the 1841 gives her age as 25 - but remember these ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 for adults - so she could have been aged 29 (which would mean born c1812) and therefore old enough to be the mother of your Mary Ann who was born in 1832.

If the marriage to Lot in 1829 is correct as well, then she may have been 17 when she married.

This doesn't explain why she hasn't aged between the 1841 and 1851 census, unless of course it is a different person, as you suggest!
            Elaine

Comment

.. cross posted there but both thinking along the same lines!
              Elaine

Comment

LOL, Yes on same wavelength Elaine!! makes me feel better when someone has same thoughts!

They also seem to change their minds as to whether they were born in the county or not! I know it difficult as Bristol sometimes classed as somerset and sometimes Gloucestershire by people on the census but makes pinning them down tricky!!

Have put her down as Mary Ann Room as pretty sure that she is Mary Anns mother, whether or not she is the same Mary Ann on the later census' i just don't know, BUT gut feeling says she isn't!
                KAREN xx

Comment

I can't see any other likely marriages for Lot. As you say, difficult to know unless of course you buy birth certificates for all the children to compare mother's name! Tends to work out a bit expensive!!
                  Elaine

Comment

In 1871 Lott says he was born North Nibley so guess this baptism on Family Search is him:
                    Lot Shearman baptised 25 Dec 1803 North Nibley, Gloucestershire
                    parents Edward and Betty Shearman
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

mmmm just found this:

Name: Mary Sherman
                      Birth: abt 1813
                      Death: Apr 1886 - Bedminster, Somerset

Same area where husband lott died in 1876, perhaps it is the same Mary all the way through and she just tells huge porkies about her age?!! LOL
                      KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        I can't see any other likely marriages for Lot. As you say, difficult to know unless of course you buy birth certificates for all the children to compare mother's name! Tends to work out a bit expensive!!
                        I had thought of getting a later one Elaine, but am only really bothered about her being Mary Anns mother and she was born 1832 and before registration........typical!! Mind you if i got the youngest childs samuels one and it came back Mary Ann Room it would tell me that she is the same one. might be worth a punt!
                        KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                          In 1871 Lott says he was born North Nibley so guess this baptism on Family Search is him:
                          Lot Shearman baptised 25 Dec 1803 North Nibley, Gloucestershire
                          parents Edward and Betty Shearman
                          Thanks for that Judith, trouble is he gives his birth as Wootten under edge in Gloucestershire on the 1861. I have googled and they are not a million miles apart, what you think? They are a bit of a headache this lot (pardon the pun!)
                          KAREN xx

Comment

Think I may get these two actually Emma Sherman b 1840 and Samuel G Sherman b 1849. have made a note of the ref's and will put them in the "When I have a bit more money and not essential pile " LOL
                            KAREN xx

Comment

their right abut the younger kids births. and lot is not common, so if the birth you find is close to where he says for birthplace is worth checking. he may have been born in one place and christened elsewhere. not all towns had a church.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                their right abut the younger kids births. and lot is not common, so if the birth you find is close to where he says for birthplace is worth checking. he may have been born in one place and christened elsewhere. not all towns had a church.
                                Be very unusual for a town in the UK not to have a church, usually the only places that don't have churches are very small hamlets/villages so the christening would have been quite close by as most people travelled by foot or horse and cart in those days so would no go far afield. christenings in these cases did not always take place soon after birth as people waited until they had another reason to travel - not like us when we hop in the car at the drop of a hat!!

Margaret

Comment

true margaret. but maybe they had a reason for another place of christening, or they moved to the town after his birth and he thought he was born there.

Comment

My ancestors from Wotton under Edge were all Methodists, so some of their baps. are in familysearch.
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
                                      Think I may get these two actually Emma Sherman b 1840 and Samuel G Sherman b 1849. have made a note of the ref's and will put them in the "When I have a bit more money and not essential pile " LOL
                                      I realise that this thread is quite old but have just come across it while Googling. Lot Sherman is my GGG Grandfather and I have some more information about his tree which may be of interest to you.

Comment

Working...
                                      X