I'm stuck..without a surname??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm stuck..without a surname??

Hi everyone, wondered if someone could help with my problem. I am having difficulty finding out the name of one of my female relatives. Ann is noted as wife of James Gage in the 1851 census living in Kensington. She was born in Stonegrave Yorkshire in 1818. Her husband was born in Chelsworth Suffolk 1813 and died in Kensington 1869. I have trawled Yorkshire records for a birth or marriage but have not come up with anything, I'm guessing its because I have so little to go on. Would be really grateful if someone could give my search a boost by finding Ann's maiden surname. many thanks Ali

any kids? the birth certs would give mother's name. did anne die before or after james? the death may have a rellie. they may not have married in yorks. do you have james in 1841?

Comment

For anyone looking, this appears to be them in 1851 - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=1839536

Probable birth for son Edward - Mar 1842 - Cosford (which covers Bildeston) - ref 12 346 . This would give mothers maiden name.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I think this may be James in 1841 in Covent garden, not born in county. He is a butcher and in 1851 he is a butchers journeyman.

Comment

I see he was a butcher in 1851 so guess this is him in 1841 in Hart Street, St Paul's Covent Garden. HO107 piece 741 folio 4/43 page 4

Snap Chrissie .
          Last edited by JudithM; 05-06-12, 10:28.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Looks like this could be the birth reg for their son Edward ???? (see 1851 census return)

Mar qtr 1842 - Cosford Reg Dist - Edward Gage

Jay

ETA I see Chrissie beat me to it!
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 05-06-12, 10:32.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Great mind think alike Judith

This looks like the baptism of James and William in 1845. I suspect possibly a late one for James as it may have been a hurried one for William as it's very possible that he died shortly afterwards in the Dec quarter. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=1832099

Comment

Edward baptised in 1849. Date of birth given as 21st Jan 1842.
                Moggie

Comment

Can we take it that you have all the info you need on James snr Ali? The reason I ask is that I see he had a much younger brother Frederick with them in 1861 and working back from that I assume this is James snr's family in 1851?

I wonder whose child the grandson William was?
                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 05-06-12, 11:09.

Comment

Hi everyone, many thanks for your contributions.

Chrissi thanks for you help, its Ann, James' wife who I'm after. Its unusual in my family for the wife to come from way out of the area of the husband ie Suffolk to Yorkshire. Unfortunately I've not had any luck in tracing the marriage of Ann and James nor Ann's birth either would help. I'm particularly interested in pursing Ann's line as she is the only person in my tree born in the north.

Again thanks for your help, fingers crossed someone can find out more about Ann.

kind regards Ali

PS. will try and track down the grandson william's parents sometime, once I've got Ann.

Comment

You're welcome Ali As we said, this birth cert should give you her name - Probable birth for son Edward - Mar 1842 - Cosford (which covers Bildeston) - ref 12 346 .

Comment

Hi Ali
                        Have you discounted this possible marriage?
                        Oct/Nov/Dec qtr 1839 St George Hanover Square
                        5 grooms & 4 brides listed on the same page.
                        Thomas Musgrave married Catherine Cavendish. Thomas was Bishop of Hereford & may also have been listed as Thomas Hereford which would account for the extra male.
                        John Fryer married Lucretia Salmon. A John Fryer has a wife named Lucretia in 1851.
                        Leaving John Watts, James Gage, Mary Ann Barham & Ann Dale.
                        If James Gage married Ann Dale it poses the problem of where was she in 1841?
                        Moggie

Comment

Hi Ali
                          The following is pure speculation on my part & a birth cert for one of the children would prove or disprove my theory.
                          If James did marry Ann Dale there is a possible baptism for her on Familysearch.
                          Anne Dale baptised 5th Oct 1817 Stonegrave, Yorkshire, parents Edward & Mary Dale.
                          Marriage for her parents at Stonegrave on 13th Sep 1816?
                          Edward Dale age 21 (1795) & Mary Thorpe age 19 (1797) Mary’s father Thomas Thorpe.
                          Possibly the same Edward & Mary living St George Bloomsbury, Middlesex in 1841. Note an Elizabeth Thorpe in household.

1851 same address Mary’s birthplace given as Stonegrave, Yorkshire

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8860&iid=MDXHO107_1507_ 1507-0087&fn=Edward&ln=Dale&st=d&ssrc=&pid=2613381

Moggie

Comment

Hi Ali
                            When you look at the 1851 census on the reference given in my last post you will see that living with them was a widowed daughter Mary Hooper. She remarried in 1867 to a Thomas Harding. One of the witnesses was a James Gage.

Looks promising.
                            Moggie

Comment

Hi Ali
                              A bit more proof
                              1891 census Chiswick
                              Mary Harding, head, widow (above) age 70
                              Ann Gage, sister, widow age 73 born Stonegrave.
                              Henry Dale brother age 58
                              Charles Frederick Gage, nephew's son age 7 born Paddington.

Moggie

Comment

Oh well done Moggie

Comment

Thanks Moggie, have PM'd you. kind regards Ali

Comment

Working...
                                  X