British Postal Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Postal Service

Please could I ask for a look up in the British Postal Service Appoitment Books on Ancestry for J E H Howgego date appointed 1890

Many thanks

Have you looked at the Ancestry T&C's?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Doesn't say a lot!

His name J E H Howgego
      Date appointed - which you know
      Place appointed T.S <<<<Whatever tha means!

Looking at the image itself

Looks like

Jelst 2nd cl

12775 in another column ( number of appointment minute)
      Last edited by Jessbowbag; 04-06-12, 17:06.
      Jess

Comment

Thanks very much for looking Jess, like you not sure what it all means but one day it will all fall into place!

Comment

Sorry Christine no I haven't checked the T & C's since my sub ran out and couldn't understand them all!. Sorry if I've done something I shouldn't

Comment

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
            Sorry Christine no I haven't checked the T & C's since my sub ran out and couldn't understand them all!. Sorry if I've done something I shouldn't
            I don't think that any of the sites with records available via a sub allows the subscribers to do look-ups for other people. There's no problem with letting people know that the information is actually there and worth looking for - perhaps with a short sub, or credits, depending on the site.

Have you checked your local library service? Many offer Ancestry via a visit to the library. Some even have FMP. It's amazing just how much some of them hava available for free to library members.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
              Doesn't say a lot!

His name J E H Howgego
              Date appointed - which you know
              Place appointed T.S <<<<Whatever tha means!

Looking at the image itself

Looks like

Jelst 2nd cl

12775 in another column ( number of appointment minute)
              if the entry was handwritten I'd suggest that the job was Telst 2nd cl, ie telegraphist second class - cursive writing capital T does look rather like a print J
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you Judith, makes sense as I know he was a telegraphist

Comment

Unfortunately Christine, my local library does not do Ancestry, it is a very small library and offers very little!!

Comment

Have just found list of abbreviations online and the TS for place appointed stands for Telegraph Section Go to this page http://www.postalheritage.org.uk/pag...gy-mainsources and then click on the Family History Guide link.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you very much Judith, that site looks very interesting, I shall enjoy looking through it.

Comment

Working...
                      X