Litherland family - leicestershire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Litherland family - leicestershire.

I think I have hit the proverbial brick wall, my search for John Litherland produces several, and I'm beginning to think I'll never match up the wives with the correct Johns. I have a John Litherland born in Oct 1739 at Appleby Magna, son of John Litherland and Margaret (alsop) who could be married to either Dorothy Cooper or Elizabeth Stretton. Another John born in 1749 at Appleby Magna son of William and Elizabeth. The two were both married in 1771 and had sons called John in 1771/2. Another wife if Elizabeth Simpkin married 1757. Any help would be most appreciated. :o

Welcome novabird,

We seem to be experiencing problems with the site so please dont think you are being ignored if you dont get a reply tonight

Edna

Comment

a bit of a predicament!
      John LitherlandEngland, Marriages, 1538–1973

marriage: 24 May 1771 Appleby Magna,​Leicester,​England
      spouse: Dorothy Cooper
      marriage: 04 Jul 1771 Appleby Magna,​Leicester,​England
      spouse: Elizabeth Stretton
      Last edited by Jessbowbag; 04-06-12, 06:52.
      Jess

Comment

Thanks for your reply, this is the brick wall I was hoping to get around somehow. A long shot I know, but I hoped there was maybe a marriage record naming either of the Johns' mother and father, or maybe a brother who was witness. It seems to be the only clue to finding who belongs to whom. Not to mention my search for Elizabeth Simpkin who married a John 1757. I'm trying to draw up the family tree and this bit is holding me up. Thanks Jess, I appreciate your looking at it.......... Hello wall.

Comment

Did you know the Appleby Magna parish records were online?

There is a little bit of extra information in the marriage transcriptions.

- John Litherland & Dorothy Cooper. Banns
          Witnesses Timothy Litherland, Mary Aldridge. May 24 1771

- John Litherland Elisebeth Stretton of Norton. lic.
          Witnesses John Hill, Esther Tunnadine. July 4 1771

The marriage licence for the second marriage might possibly have a bit more information; it should have the groom's occupation, but it isn't likely to have the parties' parents' names unless one of them was a minor.

The Leics. Record Office has the marriage licences; you can e-mail them, or I can have a look for you when I go in August if you can wait that long.

Comment

Aha!

Baptisms
            John, s. of Wm Eliz. Litherland., Oct. 13 1739
            Timothy, s. of William & Eliz. Litherland. Oct 25 1741

So I think it's a good bet that John bap 1739 married Dorothy Cooper.

Comment

Marriages
              John Litherland, laborer, & Elizabeth Simpkin of Stretton, Co Derby, Spinster, banns.
              Witnesses William Litherland, Thos Pickering. Oct. 10 1757

A William Litherland, son of John and Margaret, was baptised in 1738, so he may well be the brother of the John bap 1750 who married Elizabeth Stretton from Norton; however, that John would be too young to have maried Elizabeth Simpkin. The other John would have been old enough; if you can manage to trace the back further with the help of the online PRs, you may well find that the two sets of brothers were cousins, and William witnessed his cousin John's first wedding.

It's likely (although not absolutely certain) that Elizabeth Simpkin was born in Stretton, Derbyshire, or thereabouts and Elizabeth Stretton was born in Norton, Derbyshire, or thereabouts.
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 05-06-12, 01:13.

Comment

Litherland family Leicester

Hi Mary, Thank you so much for solving the John/Dorothy/Elizabeth problem, I thought I would never get them sorted out. You are a star. Elizabeth Simpkins is still out on a limb, I thought she could possibly be the wife of another John, the brother of the William and Elizabeth (smith) who had the son John who we now know married Dorothy Cooper. This John was born in 1720 at Prestwold and married Ann Parker in 1746 but nothing else can be found of their marriage, I can't find out if she died and perhaps Elizabeth Simpkin married him in 1757. Other than that I've run out of Johns. Again thank you so much for your time. I will look at the Appleby Magna site again, I ran through it some time last year and found it really helpful then. Regards Novabird.

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                Marriages
                John Litherland, laborer, & Elizabeth Simpkin of Stretton, Co Derby, Spinster, banns.
                Witnesses William Litherland, Thos Pickering. Oct. 10 1757

A William Litherland, son of John and Margaret, was baptised in 1738, so he may well be the brother of the John bap 1750 who married Elizabeth Stretton from Norton; however, that John would be too young to have maried Elizabeth Simpkin. The other John would have been old enough; if you can manage to trace the back further with the help of the online PRs, you may well find that the two sets of brothers were cousins, and William witnessed his cousin John's first wedding.

It's likely (although not absolutely certain) that Elizabeth Simpkin was born in Stretton, Derbyshire, or thereabouts and Elizabeth Stretton was born in Norton, Derbyshire, or thereabouts.

Comment

You're very welcome

My guess is that Elizabeth Simpkin was the first wife of John son of William and Elizabeth; there are a couple of burials for Elizabeth Litherland in Appleby Magna between 1757 and 1771, but it doesn't give their ages or husbands' names, so there's no way of being sure who it is.

And if the John L who married Dorothy was a widower, it should have said so in the PRs, but it doesn't (unless it was missed off the transcription by mistake, or because it was illegible).
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 06-06-12, 21:54.

Comment

That makes sense, Mary, it solves that part of my tree which has been nagging me for months not to mention the hours of frustration. I still have a few holes here and there, but I think I have the main characters now. The Appleby Magna records were a bonus for me. Around the mid 1700s there were quite a few deaths, one or two paupers in there too but no clue to identify which branch of family they belonged to. You have been an enormous help to me, thank you so much. ;D novabird

Comment

Might be worth looking to see if you can find any wills for the family. Do you have a date of death any of your Litherlands?

Comment

No a bit short of death dates all round. I do have three probate dates (not seen the actual records) but not relating to the two Johns I've been looking for. The ones I have are 1723 for John b 1670 and wife Margaret Spencer. Probate 1760 for John b 1695 and wife Sarah Mathew, and probate date 1786 for William b 1717 and wife Elizabeth Smith - John b 1739 is their son. Thanks, I'll have to dig around. There is a family story that my late father told me was that there is some unclaimed money in chancery from one of the uncles. No-one seems to know who he is. I don't think I'll be that lucky.

Comment

Working...
                        X