The Scottish Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Scottish Problem

Hi there I have had years of problems with the Fairbairn Family.
    Robert Fairbairn was born in Eckford, Roxboroughshire, Scotland in about 1799
    It appears that he married an unknown person and they had a son, John Fairbairn, In Coldstream in about 1843 That's all I know about John.
    On 26 September 1847 Robert Married Elizabeth Young in Blantyre Lanarkshire.
    They had four children:
    Robert Fairbairn born 10 May 1848 Cambuslang, Glasgow he married and died in 1902

Margaret Alison Fairbairn born Hamilton Lanarkshire about 1850 she married Charles Richard Grey on 21 Sep 1873 at St Mary Magdalene Church, Bermondsey, London, Surrey. That's all I know about Margaret.

James Fairbairn born about 1852 in Scotland. That's all I know of James.

George Fairbairn born 30 October 1854 Liverpool.

George is my maternal great Grandfather and I have quite a bit on him and his family. (14 children in wedlock plus one other).

Is there anyone can fill in any information about Robert Senior, Margaret and James.
    Robert senior was a surveyor and surveyed the land of the Duke of Beccleau on behalf of the railways. He is known to have been a civil engineer.
    Anything would be appreciated so thanks for looking. Old Geezer
    Where did I come from?

Familysearch has lots of records for Fairbairn the above is Richard Fairbairn but just need to trawl through

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by Old Geezer View Post
      Is there anyone can fill in any information about ....Margaret ..
      There is a public tree on Ancestry which gives a year of death for Margaret as 1878

From freeBMD
      Margaret Alison Gray born c 1850
      Death registration Jul-Aug-Sep 1878
      Mile End Old Town, vol.1, page 381
      Elaine

Comment

For anyone wishing to help, a huge amount of information has already been gathered on the One Name site and it might be worth reading through it first, before needlessly following dead ends.

For all interested in the FAIRBAIRN (and variants) surname - this blog is the project diary for both the One Name Study and the DNA Project.

OC
        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 02-06-12, 21:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Geezer View Post
          James Fairbairn born about 1852 in Scotland. That's all I know of James.
          There is a James Fairburn shown in the 1871 census with wife Alice.

James Fairburn born c1851 Scotland - occ. lithographic writer
          Alice Fairburn born c1848 South Wales
          add. 27 Dorchester Street, Hoxton Old Town, Shoreditch
          Elaine

Comment

The family are at 2 Alpha Terrace, St Mary Stratford Bow, Poplar in 1861 census

Elizabeth Fairbairn 1820 widow, b Scotland
            John 1843 Dispensing Chemist b Scotland
            Robert 1849 Apprentice to Butcher b Scotland
            Margaret A 1850 Scholar b Scotland
            James 1852 Scholar b Scotland
            George 1855 Scholar b Liverpool

Piece 304 Folio 125 Page 20

Sadly looks like John died

John Fairbairn 1862 Q3 1c 430 Poplar
            Last edited by Frazzled; 02-06-12, 22:14.

Comment

This is probably a silly question, but have you searched http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk ?

Comment

Thanks for those who have replied. I have a cousin who has searched the Scotlands People site with no success and the Fairbairn one name group have Robert as an 'orphan' and not yet being able to fit him in other parts of the Fairbairn tree in spite of a dna sample.
                For the other repilies I am most grateful and where I have beentrying to go 'back' all the time, maybe I should have gone forward and picked up the pieces others have here.
                Robert Senior and his first wife are still a problem as is Roberts death. Some time................
                Where did I come from?

Comment

I wasn't saying that the Fairbairn site had the answers, I was saying that they have already covered a huge amount of ground, all of which was fruitless and that anyone wishing to help might want to read up on that research before pointlessly duplicating it.

Otherwise, the possibility is that he was not a Fairbairn at birth!

OC

Comment

Scottish Statutory (post 1855) death records contain a lot of information including birth year, parents, spouse (including multiples) and often a witness name and residence. If John Fairbairn (Coldstream 1843) died in Scotland you can confirm the mothers name and possibly other info. The same goes for James bc1852. Scotlands people holds these documents online and you can download originals for 5 credits (costing about a pound) An index search can be done for a single credit.

Comment

Working...
                    X