The Secret History of Our Streets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Secret History of Our Streets

New series on BBC2 on Wednesday 6th June. Looks at 6 streets over the past 125 years based on Victorian maps, beginning with Deptford High Street.

Looks very interesting.

I was going to put this up looks really interesting doesn't it ? its on at 9pm

Comment

Freeview+ all set up
      Thanks for the heads up

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Sorry Val, would have been more help if I'd put the time!!

The programme is going to compare Charles Booth's social maps of London Streets made from 1886 to the present day.

Comment

OOohh definitely will be watching that...thanks, off to set recorder

Linda

Comment

have you put this on the general board too as some people may not see it on here ?

Comment

Yes, Ive already got it earmarked. Deptford was the stamping ground of several generations of my Acton/Baizley lot who worked at the Deptford Royal Docks.

Comment

Other roads they are featuring are

Reverdy Road in Bermondsey, Deptford High Street, Arnold Circus in Shoreditch, Caledonian Road in Islington, Portland Road near Notting Hill and Camberwell grove

Linda

Comment

Yes Val have now put it on General Board

Comment

I've just had a quick look in our Gedcom section there are quite a lot of our active FTF members who have people born in Deptford (self & OH included though his was over a century before the period covered) so it should be of interest for many of us.

Comment

Thank you. I MUST watch this
                      I have walked along Deptford High Street, and I find this site very interesting:
                      In Charles Booth's London you can search and view digitised notebooks of the Inquiry into Life and Labour in London and the associated poverty map.

The Charles Booth Online Archive is a searchable resource giving access to archive material from the Booth collections of the Archives Division of the Library of the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE Archives) and the Senate House Library.

The Booth collection at LSE Archives contains the original records from Booth's survey into life and labour in London, dating from 1886 to 1903. The archives of the Senate House Library contain Booth family papers from 1799 to 1967.
                      Joy

Comment

nudging up for people who may not know

Comment

My family lived in May Cottage which was no 1 Reginald Road, the far end of the road from the houses that were shown in the programme. I was told when there a few years ago that "my" end of the road suffered bomb damage in world war two.
                          Last edited by Joy Dean; 06-06-12, 21:17.
                          Joy

Comment

This wasn't quite what I was expecting but very interesting none the less.

OC

Comment

Michael Pilgrim reviews the first episode of The Secret History of Our Streets, a BBC Two series which explores how London has changed since Charles Booth's survey in 1886, beginning with Deptford.

Michael Pilgrim reviews the first episode of The Secret History of Our Streets, a BBC Two series which explores how London has changed since Charles Booth's survey in 1886, beginning with Deptford.
                              Joy

Comment

Joy, I have a copy of Charles Booths records for the area of Bermondsey and Deptford (somewhere in my belongings anyway!) It is the first area put into a book that can be purchased. I got it some years back from my son as a xmas pressie. I think amazon had it.

Comment

Yes very interesting programme. I remember when they knocked some of these houses down in the 1960's and built tower blocks, I was outraged at the time as I felt that the buildings should have been renovated not annihilated! But it happened to so many cities, what the Germans failed to get the various City/Town councils managed to finish off!! They destroyed whole communities, not just houses and what did we get in its place, the worst slums and the biggest problems with the high rise ever! We are now reaping the results of that destruction big time, which we saw in the riots last year.

Janet
                                  Last edited by Janet; 07-06-12, 10:04.

Comment

What enrages me about all this - and it happened everywhere, not just in London - is that no one was ever called to account for the massive waste of public money, never mind the inestimable emotional impact.

We even have a tower block down here in sleepy old Cornwall, can you imagine why it was ever built, other than for delusions of grandeur by the local council. Needless to say, it is a dump and an eyesore, despite some titivating of the plastic (!) frontage. No one, but no one, not even the homeless, wants to live in it.

OC
                                    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 07-06-12, 11:03. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                                      Joy, I have a copy of Charles Booths records for the area of Bermondsey and Deptford (somewhere in my belongings anyway!) It is the first area put into a book that can be purchased. I got it some years back from my son as a xmas pressie. I think amazon had it.
                                      Thank you. I have this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Around-Lewis.../dp/0750941367 but shall look out for the book that you referred to as well.
                                      Joy

Comment

Don't forget at the end of the programme you can send for a booklet
                                        go to
                                        Series exploring the history of archetypal streets in Britain.
                                        Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

Working...
                                        X